Build your skills in examination and manual therapy treatment techniques! Manual Physical Therapy of the Spine, 3rd Edition provides evidence-based guidelines to manipulation, evaluation, and treatment procedures of the spine and temporomandibular joint. A perfect blend of theory and practice, this text uses an impairment-based approach in showing how to reach an accurate diagnosis and develop an effective plan of care. The book’s photos and drawings — along with some 200 videos — demonstrate examination and manipulation procedures, including therapist hand placement, applied direction of force, and patient positioning. Written by clinician and educator Kenneth Olson, this comprehensive resource will help you improve your clinical reasoning and provide successful outcomes.
- Approximately 200 video clips teach the skills needed to effectively implement evidence-based treatment recommendations related to manual therapy, manipulation, and therapeutic exercise.
- Descriptions of manual therapy techniques include evidence-based coverage of the examination and treatment of spine and TMJ disorders, along with discussions of alternative treatment methods and potential adverse effects and contraindications to manipulation.
- Guidelines for completing a comprehensive spinal examination include medical screening, the patient interview, disability assessment, and tests and measures, along with an evaluation of the examination findings and the principles involved in arriving at a diagnosis and plan of care.
- Impairment-based manual physical therapy approach includes a review of the evidence to support its use in evaluating and treating spinal and TMJ conditions.
- Full-color photographs show procedures from multiple angles, illustrating hand and body placement and direction of force.
- Case studies demonstrate the clinical reasoning used in manual physical therapy.
- Clear, consistent format for explaining techniques makes this reference easy to use in the classroom and in the clinical setting.
- Guide to Physical Therapist Practice terminology is used throughout the book for consistency and for easier understanding.
- Expert author Ken Olson is a highly respected international authority on the subject of spinal manipulation in physical therapy.
2. Spinal Examination and Diagnosis in Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy
3. Theory, Practice, Clinical Reasoning, and Education
4. Examination and Treatment of Lumbopelvic Spine Disorders
5. Examination and Treatment of Thoracic Spine Disorders
6. Examination and Treatment of Cervical Spine Disorders
7. Examination and Treatment of Temporomandibular Disorders
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2021
- 2nd August 2021
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Private Practitioner, Northern Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine Associates, DeKalb, IL; Adjunct Assistant Professor, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.