Known for its reliable, clinically focused content, Swearingen's Manual of Medical-Surgical Nursing provides a quick reference to 125 of the most commonly encountered medical-surgical conditions. Expert authors Fran Monahan, RN, PhD, ANEF, Marianne Neighbors, EdD, RN, and Carol Green, PhD, RN, CNE make it easy to find and use the information you need to know to provide optimal patient care. Unique to this manual, outcome criteria include specific and measurable timeframes to help in establishing realistic treatment goals and evaluating the effectiveness of care. For students, it's an ideal resource for care planning and clinicals; for practitioners, it's a great clinical reference!
- More than 125 common medical-surgical conditions are organized by body system for convenient use as a clinical reference.
- A quick-reference, easy-to-use format includes these headings for each med-surg disorder:
- Diagnostic Tests
- Collaborative Management
- Nursing Diagnoses and Interventions
- Patient-Family Teaching and Discharge Planning
- Outcome criteria feature specific and measurable timeframes for each outcome.
- Patient teaching for each disorder helps you educate patients and their families for self-care and discharge.
- Clinical notes and cautions stress key points or alerts related to various disorders and conditions.
- An overview of nursing considerations for the hospitalized patient includes concepts relevant to many disorders, such as perioperative care, pain, prolonged bed rest, psychosocial support, and older adult care.
- Attractive two-color design highlights key information for fast reference.
- A durable, water-resistant cover prolongs the life of the book.
1. General Concepts in Caring for Medical-Surgical Patients
Prolonged Bed Rest
Psychosocial Support for the Family and Significant Others
Older Adult Care
2. Respiratory Disorders
Acute Respiratory Disorders
- Pleural Effusion
- Pulmonary Embolus
- Pulmonary Tuberculosis
Acute Respiratory Failure
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Restrictive Pulmonary Disorder
- Interstitial Pulmonary Fibrosis
3. Cardiovascular Disorders
Diseases of the Cardiovascular System
- Coronary Heart Disease
- Heart Failure
- Pulmonary Hypertension
Inflammatory Heart Disorders
- Infective Endocarditis
Valvular Heart Disorders
- Mitral Stenosis
- Mitral Insufficiency
- Aortic Stenosis
- Aortic Insufficiency
Cardiovascular Conditions Secondary to Other Disease Processes
- Cardiac and Noncardiac Shock (Circulatory Failure)
- Sudden Cardiac Death
- Cardiac Surgery
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2011
- 8th September 2010
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Consultant in Nursing Education, Vero Beach, FL, USA
Professor, Eleanor Mann School of Nursing; Co-Director, Wally Cordes Teaching and Faculty Support Center, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR, USA
Professor, School of Nursing, Graceland University, Independence, MO, USA; Captain, US Navy Nurse Corps