1. General Concepts in Caring for the Critically Ill
Alterations in Consciousness
Fluid and Electrolyte Disturbances
Sedation and Neuromuscular Blockade
Wound and Skin Care
2. Managing the Critical Care Environment
Emotional and Spiritual Support of the Patient and Significant Others
Ethical Considerations in Critical Care
Patient Safety NEW!
3. Multisystem Trauma
Acute Cardiac Tamponade
Acute Spinal Cord Injury
Compartment Syndrome/Ischemic Myositis
Renal and Lower Urinary Tract Trauma
Traumatic Brain Injury
4. Respiratory Dysfunctions
Respiratory Assessment: General
Acute Asthma Exacerbation
Acute Lung Injury and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
Acute Respiratory Failure
Pulmonary Embolus (PE)
5. Cardiovascular Dysfunctions
Cardiovascular Assessment: General
Acute Coronary Syndromes/Coronary Artery Thrombolysis
Acute Infective Endocarditis
Dysrhythmias and Conduction Disturbances
Peripheral Vascular Disease NEW!
It's the ideal go-to reference for the clinical setting! Compact and easy to use, Manual of Critical Care Nursing, 6th Edition presents essential information on approximately 80 disorders and conditions, as well as concepts relevant to caring for all critically ill patients and functioning in the critical care environment. Award-winning clinical nurse specialists Marianne Baird and Sue Bethel separate the content first by body system and then by disorder, with each disorder including a brief description of pathophysiology, assessment, diagnostic testing, collaborative management, nursing diagnoses, desired outcomes, nursing interventions, and patient teaching and rehabilitation. A concise format presents the material in a way that reflects a practicing nurse's thought processes.
- Coverage of approximately 80 critical care conditions/disorders includes those most commonly seen in critical care units.
- Chapter outlines provide easy access to disorders.
- A portable size makes it ideal for use in the unit or bedside, and is also easy to carry on campus.
- Unique! Gerontology icon highlights considerations relating to the care of older adults.
- Unique! Research briefs in special boxes discuss selected research studies for evidence-based patient care.
- Unique! The latest NANDA-approved nursing diagnoses increase familiarity with NANDA terminology.
- Appendixes provide quick reference to information needed in the critical care setting.
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Clinical Nurse Specialist, Acute Care; Magnet Program Coordinator, Center for Nursing Excellence, Saint Joseph's Hospital, Atlanta, GA
Director of Clinical Programs & Research, Greenville Hospital Systems, University Medical Center, Greenville, SC