Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Manganese in Metabolism and Enzyme Function provides an understanding of the various biological roles of the trace levels of manganese found in mammalian systems. This text discusses the nutritional aspects of manganese in mammals. This book is organized into three sections encompassing 19 chapters. Section I discusses the effects of manganese deficiency, including abnormal pancreatic action and reduced pancreatic manganese in humans and laboratory animals. This text considers the criteria for adding manganese to infant formulas that are commercially available. Section II explores the effects of Mn(II) in protein kinases, protein phosphatases, and other enzymes. The reader is introduced to the electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopic probes of manganese function. Other chapters discuss the extrinsic tag technique used to study the bioavailability of trace elements, such as iron and zinc. Finally, Section III examines the biophysical, biochemical, and physiological properties and uses of manganese. Nutritionists, toxicologists, scientists, and researchers will find this book extremely useful.
Section I Manganese Nutrition and Transport
1. Mammalian Manganese Metabolism and Manganese Uptake and Distribution in Rat Hepatocytes
2. Bioavailability of Manganese in Milk Studied in in Vitro and in Vivo Systems
3. Manganese Toxicity in Man and Experimental Animals
4. Interaction of Manganese with Cellular Calcium Homeostasis
5. Mn(II) and Ca(II) Transport in Mitochondria
6. Mn(II) and Glycosyltransferases Essential for Skeletal Development
7. Hormonal Regulation of Manganese Metabolism
Section II Enzymology and Metabolic Pathways
8· Evaluation of Mn(II) in Metabolic Regulation: Analysis of Proposed Sites for Regulation
9. Possible Sites of Mn(II) Action on Carbohydrate Metabolism in the Liver
10. Manganese and Pyruvate Carboxylase
11. Manganese and Phosphoenolpyruvate Carboxykinase
12. Manganese-Catalase and Manganese Superoxide Dismutase: Spectroscopic Similarity with Functional Diversity
13. Interactions of Mn(II) with Mammalian Glutamine Synthetase
14. Properties and Regulation of Mouse Liver Arginase
15. Kinetic and Magnetic Resonance Studies of the Interaction of Mn2+ Substrates and Templates with DNA Polymerases
16. The Organization and Function of Manganese in the Water-Oxidizing Complex of Photosynthesis
Section III Biophysical Probes for Manganese and Its Interactions with Specific Binding Sites
17. Manganese: An Overview of Chemical Properties
18. Methods of Mn(II) Determination
19. Manganese as a Probe of Metal Ion Function
20. Manganese in Proteins with Multiple Metal Ion Binding Sites
21. Manganese Superoxide Dismutase: Structure and Properties
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 1986
- 28th January 1986
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.