The second edition of Management of the Mechanically Ventilated Patient functions as both an educational manual and a clinical reference for those involved in monitoring, managing, and delivering care to patients requiring respiratory intervention or mechanical ventilatory support. The range of coverage and practical approach in this easy to understand guide provides the nurse and other health care professional the clinical practice information needed to deliver safe and effective respiratory care.
- Contains cutting-edge coverage of respiratory care to keep nurses and other health care professionals up to date
- Includes valuable information on airways, oxygen delivery devices; lung expansion, bronchial hygiene and aerosol therapies
- Rich in illustrations, boxes and tables to support understanding of information
- Fundamental and advanced, but practical, information about mechanical ventilation from patient selection and application, to monitoring, troubleshooting, and weaning including basic and complex modes
- Specialized techniques such as independent lung ventilation and high frequency oscillatory ventilation
- Comprehensive appendices provide practical and current information including the latest on drugs
- Pulmonary Anatomy
2. Practical Physiology of the Pulmonary System
3. Airway Maintenance
4. Administration of Oxygen, Humidification, and Aerosol Therapy
5. Lung Expansion, Positioning, and Secretion Clearance
6. Mechanical Ventilation: Indications, Basic Principles of Ventilator Performance of the Respiratory Cycle, and Initiation
7. Modes of Mechanical Ventilation
8. Ventilator Graphics and Waveform Analysis
9. Complications of Mechanical Ventilation and Troubleshooting the Patient-Ventilator System
10. Noninvasive Respiratory Monitoring and Invasive monitoring of Direct and Derived Tissue Oxygenation Variables
11. Weaning from Mechanical Ventilation
12. Specialized Techniques in Mechanical Ventilation
Appendix I Pulmonary Symbols and Abbreviations
Appendix II Drugs Used In Intensive Respiratory Care
Appendix III Chest Drainage Systems
Appendix IV Ventilator Withdrawal at End-of-Life
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2006
- 24th July 2006
- Paperback ISBN:
Clinical Nurse Specialist, Critical Care, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.