With a focus on helping clients participate in the self-management of their own treatment, this collection of effective and safe techniques and exercises provides practical information on relaxing muscles in spasm and easing associated muscular pain. Reader-friendly and accessible, it provides numerous exercises that can be used to treat existing conditions or to prevent further injury. While the exercises can be used in a management program under the direction of any therapist involved in the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders, they are also ideal for home use — so patients can do them without special equipment or the assistance of others.
- Safe and effective exercise techniques help patients relieve tense muscles and ease related pain.
- Numerous, colorful illustrations are included throughout the text to provide a better understanding of techniques.
- Clear and easy-to-follow explanations of each technique improve readability and comprehension.
- Expert guidance helps readers select the appropriate exercise for each situation.
- Content helps patients remember what the therapist wants them to do between one consultation and the next.
- The role of the patient in maintaining his or her own fitness is emphasized to ensure successful treatment outcomes.
- All of the exercises can be done at home — without special equipment or hands-on involvement of the practitioner.
- Plastic cards inside the back cover provide exercises and instructions for patients to use at home.
Instructing patients in self-help techniques
Explaining the different forms of muscle energy technique
Explanations and summaries of MET methods
Muscles: types and tests
Muscle energy techniques in action
Explaining trigger points and their importance
Strain and counterstrain techniques
- © Churchill Livingstone 2004
- 18th December 2003
- Churchill Livingstone
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN: