Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: From Research to Bedside offers full acknowledgment of the basic research of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), also connecting the clinical and practice management of the disease. It provides a full comprehension of LUTS and BPH from several aspects, allowing for a schematic interpretation of the disease and subsequent medical management. Going beyond the guidelines in the field, this title enhances the knowledge of BPH onset, allowing for the advancement of research, beneficial clinical implication and treatment.
Perfect for researchers, urologists, pathologists and endocrinologists, this must-have reference provides what is needed to understand LUTS and BPH in one easy to reference place.
- Provides a clear understanding of the pathological mechanisms that are present in lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- Incorporates research with the clinical aspects of LUTS and BPH, including surgical techniques
- Presents an overview of LUTS and BPH in one easy to reference place
Researchers, Urologists, Pathologists and Endocrinologists
1. Epidemiology of LUTS and BPH
2. Pathologic triggers related to LUTS and BPH
3. Relationship between inflammation and LUTS/BPH
4. LUTS/BPH and erectile dysfunction
5. Metabolic syndrome and LUTS/BPH
6. Diagnostic of LUTS/BPH: from standard to new perspectives
7 Medical aspects of the treatment of LUTS/BPH: phytotherapy
8. Medical aspects of the treatment of LUTS/BPH: alpha-blockers
9. Medical aspects of the treatment of LUTS/BPH: 5-alpha reductase inhibitors
10. Medical aspects of the treatment of LUTS/BPH: anti-cholinergic
11. Medical aspects of the treatment of LUTS/BPH: combination therapies
12. Surgical management of LUTS/BPH: TURP vs. open prostatectomy
13. Surgical management of LUTS/BPH: laser device
14. Surgical management of LUTS/BPH: new mini-invasive techniques
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2018
- 6th January 2018
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Prof. Giuseppe Morgia is the Director of the Urological Clinic of the University of Catania in Italy. He is a Professor of Urology at the following Schools of specialization: General Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Geriatrics, Internal Medicine and Oncology. He has participated in 370 Courses and Conferences at the invitation of the Scientific Committee. His scientific activity consists of more than 300 publications in national journals and conference proceedings. He has written 16 chapters in the context of urological texts and two monographs. Prof. Morgia was President of the Society Sicilian-Calabrian of Urology and is a member of the Italian Society of Urology, Andrology and Urology Oncology, the European Society of Urology and the American Society of Urology and Reviewer of important international journals. He is a member of the Editorial Board of Scientific Journal "Urology", and member of the Editorial Board of Scientific Journal "EPC Eye on Prostate Cancer". He was also a member from 2004-2009 of the Office of the Board of the Educational Committee of the European Association of Urology. He has won several scientific awards including the Sage Award in 1996 and 1998 and Siuro Prize section Oncology in 2001.
Chairman of the Department of Urology, University of Catania, Italy
Dr. Giorgio Ivan Russo, MD is a urologist in the department of urology at the University of Catania in Italy. He is an active member of the faculty of Medicine and Surgery. He has presented at over seventeen conferences and acts as a reviewer for 13 journals. He has been the editor of The Journal of Urology and Research since June 2014.
Department of Urology, University of Catania, Italy