Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Low-Rank Coals for Power Generation, Fuel and Chemical Production provides a thorough introduction to lignite (brown coal) and subbituminous coals and explores how they can be used efficiently and economically in place of hard coal. The book examines the undesirable characteristics of low-quality coals, such as high moisture content, low calorific value, and aggressive ash characteristics, and the resulting refinements to standard technologies and practices required for successful combustion, gasification, and pyrolysis.
The first part of this book provides a comprehensive and systematic review of the properties of low-rank coals and corresponding preparation methods, such as drying, cleaning, and upgrading. Power generation from low-rank coals is the focus of Part 2, with chapter topics ranging from high efficiency pulverized coal combustion and circulating
fluidized bed combustion to emerging areas such as chemical looping and oxyfuel combustion. The final contributions address the important subjects of coal-to-liquids,polygeneration and coke production using low-rank coals, as well as the critical issue of carbon capture and storage.
This book is a valuable resource for power generation engineers and researchers seeking to maximize the opportunities provided by these cheaper coal feedstocks for efficient and environmentally compatible power generation.
- Presents the most in-depth treatment of low-rank coals available
- Addresses both power generation and fuel production
- Includes coverage that spans pulverized coal combustion and emerging technologies, such as CFBC, UCG, CLC, and oxyfuel combustion
Engineers, managers and researchers in the coal industry; researchers in academia at post-graduate level upwards with an interest in low-rank coals
1. Introduction to low rank coals: Types, resources and current utilization
2. Properties of low rank coals and resulting challenges in their utilization
3. Drying technologies for low rank coals
4. Stabilisation, cleaning and upgrading technologies for low rank coals
5. High efficiency PCC power generation using low rank coals
6. Co-combustion of low-rank coals with biomass
7. CFBC and BFBC of low rank coals
8. Underground gasification of low rank coals
9. DICE, Direct Carbon Fuel Cells, and other advanced methods for power and chemicals production from low rank coals
10. Coal-to-liquids and polygeneration using low rank coals
11. Coke production from low-rank coals
12. Production of activated carbon and other carbon products from low-rank coals
13. Role of oxycombustion in utilisation of low rank coals
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2017
- 21st June 2017
- Woodhead Publishing
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Zhongyang Luo is a Professor in the Department of Energy Engineering, Dean of the Department of Energy Engineering and Director of the State Key Laboratory of Clean Energy Utilization at Zhejiang University, China. He was chair of the APEC Symposium on Energy Efficiency of Low Rank Coal in 2012 and has participated in numerous other international projects, including the Sino-Canada Clean Coal Technology demonstration Center and the KTH-China Energy Center. He produced over 700 academic papers and published four books.
Professor, Department of Energy Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Michalis Agraniotis is an expert in engineering and consultancy services for new energy projects on biomass and waste recovered fuels
Process Engineer, Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Europe, Duisburg, Germany
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.