Learn how common medical conditions can affect the course of the dental treatment a patient receives. This updated, concise reference provides the information you need to provide appropriate dental care to any patient, regardless of existing medical conditions. Featuring vivid illustrations and well-organized tables in each chapter, this text gives you the in-depth details and the overall summaries you need to get to the root of your patients’ needs.
- Organization of medical conditions provides a brief overview of the basic disease process, epidemiology, pathophysiology, signs and symptoms, laboratory findings, and currently accepted medical therapy of each disorder. This is followed by a detailed explanation and recommendations for specific dental management.
- Coverage of dosages, side effects, and drug interactions with medications used in dentistry, including those used during pregnancy.
- Chapters focusing on major health problems in the US and other nations include, ischemic hearth disease, smoking and tobacco use cessation, sleep-related breathing disorders, sexually transmitted diseases, diabetes mellitus, and psychiatric disorders.
- Dental management summary table summarizes important factors for consideration in the dental management of medically compromised patients.
- Appendix on the therapeutic management of common oral lesions provides a quick reference to the causative factors, clinical description, currently accepted therapeutic management, and patient education regarding common oral conditions.
- Appendix on alternative and complementary drugs looks at herbal remedies, specifically efficacy, adverse effects/reactions, medical problems, drug interactions, and dental implications.
PART ONE PATIENT EVALUATION AND RISK ASSESSMENT
1. Patient Evaluation and Risk Assessment
PART TWO CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE
2. Infective Endocarditis
4. Ischemic Heart Disease
5. Cardiac Arrhythmias
6. Heart Failure (or Congestive Heart Failure)
PART THREE PULMONARY DISEASES
7. Pulmonary Disease
8. Smoking and Tobacco Use Cessation
9. Sleep-Related Breathing Disorders
PART FOUR GASTROINTESTINAL DISEASES
10. Liver Disease
11. Gastrointestinal Disease
PART FIVE GENITOURINARY DISEASE
12. Chronic Kidney Disease and Dialysis
13. Sexually Transmitted Diseases
PART SIX ENDOCRINE AND METABOLIC DISEASE
14. Diabetes Mellitus
15. Adrenal Insufficiency
16. Thyroid Diseases (Hyperthyroidism, Hypothyroidism, Thyroiditis, and Neoplastic Disease)
17. Pregnancy and Breast Feeding
PART SEVEN IMMUNOLOGIC DISEASE
18. AIDS, HIV Infection, and Related Conditions
20. Rheumatologic and Connective Tissue Disorders
21. Organ and Bone Marrow Transplantation
PART EIGHT HEMATOLOGIC AND ONCOLOGIC DISEASE
22. Disorders of Red Blood Cells
23. Disorders of White Blood Cells
24. Acquired Bleeding and Hypercoagulable Disorders
25. Congenital Bleeding and Hypercoagulable Disorders
26. Cancer and Oral Care of the Patient
PART NINE NEUROLOGIC, BEHAVIORAL, AND PSYCHIATRIC DISORDERS
27. Neurologic Disorders
28. Anxiety, Eating Disorders and Behavioral Reactions to Illness
29. Psychiatric Disorders
30. Drug and Alcohol Abuse
Appendix A: A Guide to Management of Common Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office
Appendix B: Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health Care Settings
Appendix C: Therapeutic Management of Common Oral Lesions
Appendix D: Drug Interactions of Significance to Dentistry
Appendix E: Alternative and Complementary Drugs
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2012
- 16th February 2012
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Emeritus, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry-Minneapolis, MN
Craig S. Miller, DMD, MS, Professor of Oral Medicine, College of Dentistry, and Professor of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics, College of Medicine, is the director of the Externship in Oral Medicine Program at the University of Kentucky College of Dentistry. He is board-certified in Oral Medicine and board-eligible in oral and maxillofacial radiology, with 33 years’ experience in the diagnosis and management of medically compromised patients.
University of Kentucky, Department of Oral Health Science, College of Dentistry, Lexington, Kentucky
Nelson L, Rhodus, DMD, MPH, is a Distinguished Professor and Director of the Division of Oral Medicine, Oral Diagnosis and Radiology in the Department of Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences in the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral Medicine, and Director of the Oral Medicine and Xerostomia Clinics.
Morse Distinguished Professor and Director, Division of Oral Medicine, Oral Diagnosis and Oral Radiology, University of Minnesota, School of Dentistry and College of Medicine, Minneapolis, Minnesota
University of Kentucky, College of Dentistry, Department of Oral Health Science, Lexington, KY
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.