Table of Contents
- The principle of relativity; Relativistic mechanics; Electromagnetic fields; Electromagnetic waves; The propagation of light; The field of moving charges; Radiation of electromagnetic waves; Particle in a gravitational field; The gravitational field equation; The field of gravitational bodies; Gravitational waves; Relativistic cosmology; Index.
- No. of pages: 402
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Butterworth-Heinemann 1987
- Published: January 1, 1980
- Imprint: Butterworth-Heinemann
- Paperback ISBN: 9780750627689
About the Authors
L D Landau
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
(Total rating for all reviews)
Brian C. Sat Nov 05 2022
An advanced treatment that is
An advanced treatment that is comprehensive and crystal clear. Conveniently, problems are followed immediately by a full solution. A highly regarded text since the first edition appeared in 1951.
JoelRogers Thu May 16 2019
Classical Theory of Fields
More comprehensive than the edition of 60 years ago, especially regarding the gravitational field.
Ricardo V. Sat Dec 30 2017
An excelent classical book for fast and solid study of relativity theory
The Classical Theory of Fields, the second volume of the famous Landau and Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics, provides a fast and solid way to study the special and general relativity, as well as electrodynamics. The reader will find several original discussions that are not usually covered in other books. The examples are quite interesting and they cover problems that were -- or could be -- the subject of a good publication at the time of development of general relativity or even in the current days.