Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Lignocellulosic Biomass in Biotechnology highlights significant aspects of lignocellulose biotechnology with emphasis on demonstrating the potential value from an application perspective. Aspects which will be covered in this book include: an overview of physico-chemical characteristics of lignocellulosic biomass; physical and structural properties of hemicelluloses, celluloses and lignin; sources of lignocellulosic biomass ; microorganisms and their lignocellulytic enzymes; enzymatic degradation of lignocellulosic biomass; regulation of cell-wall degrading enzymes ; barriers to lignocellulose biodegradation ; biotechnological importance of lignocellulosic biomass; lignocellulosic pretreatment techniques; bioprocessing of lignocellulosic biomass; lignocellulosic biomass pretreatment methods; valuable chemicals and products from lignocellulosic biomass and techno-economic evaluation and future perspectives. This book answers the questions of students and scientists regarding biotechnology of lignocelluloses as well as professionals in the industry supply chain. It also provides a reference for researchers and administrators engaged in the utilization and industrial development of agricultural resources.
- Presents recent advances in processing of lignocellulosic biomass
- Highlights significant aspects of lignocelluloses biotechnology with emphasis on demonstrating the potential value from an application perspective
- Looks at the cost of enzymes and potential of modern approaches which could be employed to reduce the cost
- Summarizes the new achievements that have emerged in the biotechnology of lignocelluloses in recent years
- Discusses a wide range of topics related to the fundamental and applied aspects of lignocellulose utilization, processing and biotechnological applications
- Challenges and future opportunities of Lignocellulosic biorefining sector
Students, teachers, scientists and engineers in the disciplines of biotechnology, life sciences, microbiology, biochemistry, applied chemistry and environmental sciences and engineering
2. Physico-chemical characteristics of lignocellulosic biomass
Physical and structural properties of hemicelluloses
Physical and structural properties of celluloses
Physical and structural properties of lignin
3. Sources of lignocellulosic biomass
Agricultural residues and wastes
Industrial residues and wastes
4. Microorganisms and their lignocellulytic enzymes
5. Enzymatic Degradation of Lignocellulosic Biomass
Degradation of Cellulose
Degradation of Hemicellulose
Degradation of Lignin
Degradation of pectin
6. Regulation of Cell-Wall Degrading Enzymes Production in Fungi
7. Barriers to lignocellulose biodegradation
Microorganism access to substrate
Enzyme access to substrate
Toxicity of lignin-carbohydrate complexes and lignocellulose degradation intermediates
8. Biotechnological importance of lignocellulosic biomass
9. Lignocellulosic pretreatment techniques
10. Bioprocessing of Lignocellulosic biomass
11. Lignocellulosic Biomass Treatment Methods
12. Valuable Chemicals and Products from Lignocellulosic Biomass
13. Techno-economic and environmental evaluation
14. Future perspectives
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2021
- 1st September 2021
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Pratima Bajpai is currently working as a Consultant in the field of Paper and Pulp. She has a vast 36 years of experience in this field. She has worked at National Sugar Institute Kanpur (India), University of Saskatchewan (Canada), University of Western Ontario (Canada), and Thapar Center for Industrial Research and Development (India). Dr. Bajpai’s main areas of expertise are industrial biotechnology, pulp and paper, and environmental biotechnology. She has contributed immensely to the field of industrial biotechnology and is a recognized expert in the field. Dr. Bajpai has written several advanced level technical books on environmental and biotechnological aspects of pulp and paper which have been published by leading publishers in the USA and Europe. She has also contributed chapters to a number of books and encyclopedia, obtained 11 patents, written several technical reports, and has implemented several processes in Indian Paper mills. Dr. Bajpai is an active member of the American Society of Microbiologists and is a reviewer of many international research journals. She has also handled several Sponsored Research Projects from industry and government agencies. She is an active member of the New York Academy of Science, American Society for Microbiology, and many more.
Consultant-Pulp and Paper, Kanpur, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.