Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Section 1 - Consideration and Planning
1. An Introduction to Storage Facilities: Types and Examples
2. Planning Strategically for a Storage Facility
Section 2 - Building the Storage Facility
3. An Introduction to Construction Methods, Project Management, and Building a Project Team
4. Design and Construction of a Storage Facility Building
Section 3 - Preparing for Operations
5. Selecting Equipment, Software, and Hardware to Support Operations
6. Staffing the Storage Facility: Organization, Positions, Hiring, and Training
7. Collection Management: Decisions and Selection for Remote Storage
Section 4 - Transferring and Receiving Materials
8. Moving Collections: The Process From Retrieval to Shipping
9. Receiving Materials and Workflow at Storage Facility
Section 5 - Sustain Operations
10. Sustainability and Safety of the Facility: Materials, Personnel, and the Institution
11. Access to and Delivery of Requested Materials
12. Reporting Effectiveness, Return on Investment, and Preparing for Future Growth
Section 6 - Case Studies
13. Case Studies
Library Storage Facilities: From Planning to Construction to Operation examines high-density library storage facilities, considering how such facilities are changing the nature of collection management. The book discusses the types of storage facilities and explores how institutions can collaborate and embrace cost saving options through opening shared off-site storage facilities, addressing common needs, and maximizing value and space in on-campus libraries. Considering a unique partnership between the Texas A&M University System and the University of Texas System, the book highlights best practice and lessons learned during implementation. Topics covered include storage strategies, geometric efficiency, systems integration, environmental control, and more.
- Provides insights on the importance of high-density library storage facilities
- Lays out the process for funding, planning and building collaborations around storage facilities
- Shows how to prepare a storage facility for operation in terms of staffing, workflow and equipment
- Considers repurposing existing structures as a way of building a storage facility
- Presents how to incorporate a storage facility into services and operations
Academic libraries, library directors, library deans, collection development officers, university administrators, cataloguers, interlibrary loan officers, preservation librarians; library consultants who are hired to consult during the construction of library storage facilities; contractors who are hired to build the storage facilities
- No. of pages:
- © Chandos Publishing 2019
- 24th August 2018
- Chandos Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Wyoma van Duinkerken is director of the Joint Library Facility at Texas A&M University Libraries. She has also held a number of additional roles at the Libraries, including coordinator of Cataloguing Record Support, coordinator of Acquisitions Monographs, reference librarian, and administrator of Virtual Reference. Her research interests include, project management, storage facilities, organizational change management, servant leadership, and library administration. She has written numerous articles and book chapters, and co-authored three monographs.
Director, Joint Library Facility, Texas A&M University Libraries, TX, USA
Wendi Arant Kaspar is Professor of Library Practice at Texas A&M University. She holds a MLS from the University of Washington and an MS in Management from Texas A&M University, College Station. She joined Texas A&M University in 1996 and is Coordinator of the Policy Sciences & Economics Library. Her research interests include Human Resources and Management in Libraries, Innovation in Library Services, Outreach and Liaison. She has written numerous articles and book chapters and co-authored two monographs.
Professor of Library Practice, Texas A&M University, TX, USA
Paula Sullenger is an Associate Professor at Texas A&M University, a position held since 2004. She is currently Associate Dean for Information Resources at Texas A&M University Libraries and has held a number of additional roles at Auburn University, including serials cataloguer, serials acquisitions librarian, head of the Acquisitions Department, and head of the Electronic Resources and Serials. Her research interests include library management, assessment, electronic resources, collection development, acquisition, and collection management. She has written a number of articles and book chapters.
Associate Professor, Texas A&M University, TX, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.