Gain a solid foundation in Canadian maternity and pediatric nursing! Written in a clear, concise, friendly style, Leifer’s Intro to Maternity & Pediatric Nursing in Canada, is the first Canadian edition of the best-selling Leifer textbook. Fully revised by author, Lisa Keenan-Lindsay, RN, MN, PNC(C), it includes Canadian statistics, terminology, references, guidelines, resources, Canadian nursing best practices, assessments, and more! It’s organized by developmental stages and includes discussions of pediatric disorders by body system from simple-to-complex and health-to-illness. With a rich focus on family health, this text contains exam-style review questions, case studies, and numerous other pedagogical features to give you the tools you need to successfully care for patients within the Canadian social and institutional context.
- Logical organization of content by simple-to-complex and health-to-illness, makes it easy for you to locate and access information.
- Health Promotion Considerations boxes focus on preventive strategies for achieving prenatal wellness, health during pregnancy, postpartum health, newborn health, and pediatric illness prevention and wellness---including Canadian immunization schedules for all ages.
- Unfolding Case Studies with open-ended critical thinking questions assess application of content to practice as you follow one family through conception and the birth process.
- Nursing Care Plans provide expected outcomes, interventions, and rationales for nursing interventions.
- Comprehensive coverage of over 35 skills, outlined in step-by-step format cover a wide range of maternal and pediatric nursing interventions.
- Focus on health promotion and illness prevention, covers women’s health issues, and growth and development of child and parent.
- Cultural considerations applied as they relate to maternal/infant, and pediatric care in detailed tables.
- Safety Alerts emphasize protecting patients, family, health care providers, and the public from accidents, medication errors, and the spread of disease.
- Nursing Tips throughout text provide you with pertinent information applicable in the clinical setting.
UNIT ONE: An Overview of Maternity and Pediatric Nursing
1. Overview of Perinatal and Pediatric Nursing in Canada
UNIT TWO: Maternal-Newborn Nursing and Women’s Health
2. The Nurse’s Role in Women’s Health Care
3. Fetal Development
4. Prenatal Care and Adaptations to Pregnancy
5. Nursing Care of Women with Complications During Pregnancy
6. Nursing Care of the Mother and Infant During Labour and Birth
7. Pain Management During Labour and Birth
8. Nursing Care of Women with Complications During Labour and Birth
9. Nursing Care of The Woman and Family After Birth
10. Nursing Care of Women with Complications After Birth
11. The Term Newborn
12. High-Risk Newborns
UNIT THREE: The Growing Child and Family
13. An Overview of Growth, Development, and Nutrition
14. The Infant
15. The Toddler
16. The Preschool Child
17. The School-Age Child
18. The Adolescent
UNIT FOUR: Adapting Care to the Pediatric Patient
19. The Child’s Experience of Hospitalization
20. Health Care Adaptations for the Child and Family
21. Complementary and Alternative Health Modalities in Pediatric Nursing
22. Chronic Conditions and Palliative Care: Caring for the Child and Family
UNIT FIVE: The Child Needing Nursing Care
23. The Child with an Eye, Ear, or Neurological Condition
24. The Child with a Musculoskeletal Condition
25. The Child with a Respiratory Condition
26. The Child with a Cardiovascular Condition
27. The Child with a Condition of the Blood, Blood-Forming Organs or Lymphatic System
28. The Child with a Gastrointestinal Condition
29. The Child with a Genitourinary Condition
30. The Child with a Skin Condition
31. The Child with a Metabolic Condition
32. Childhood Communicable Diseases
33. The Child with an Emotional or Behavioural Condition
Appendix A: Normal Pediatric Vital Signs and Temperature Equivalents for Infants and Children
Appendix B: Pediatric Laboratory Values Reference
Appendix C: Canada’s Food Guide - 2019
Appendix D: Pediatric Growth Charts
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders Canada 2020
- 11th November 2019
- Saunders Canada
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Gloria Leifer, MA, RN, CNE
Professor, Obstetric and Pediatric Nursing, Riverside City College, Riverside, CA
Lisa Keenan-Lindsay, RN, MN, PNC(C), LCCE
Professor, School of Health Sciences, Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology, Toronto, ON
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.