Regarded as the citable treatise in the field, the 7th Edition of Legal Medicine explores and illustrates the legal implications of medical practice and the special legal issues arising from managed care. Edited by the American College of Legal Medicine Textbook Committee, it features comprehensive discussions on a myriad of legal issues that health care professionals face every day. Substantially revised and expanded and written in a plain manner, this New Edition includes 20 brand-new chapters that address the hottest topics in the field today. Will also serve as the syllabus for the Board Review Course of the American Board of Legal Medicine (ABLM).
- Includes need-to-know information on telemedicine and electronic mail · medical and scientific expert testimony · medical records and disclosure about patients · and liability exposure facing managed care organizations.
- Addresses the legal aspects of almost every medical topic that impacts health care professionals.
- Uses actual case studies to illustrate nuances in the law.
- Discusses current trends in the peer review process · physician-assisted suicide · and managed care organizations.
- Offers the expert guidance of top professionals across medical and legal fields in an easy to read format.
- Includes a glossary of medical terms.
- Introduction: Legal Medicine
PART ONE: MEDICAL LICENSURE, CREDENTIALING AND PRIVILEGING, PROFILING AND IMPAIRMENT
2 Medical Practice: Education and Licensure
3 Medical Staff Peer Review in the Credentialing and Privileging of Physicians
4 Physician Profile Databases
5 Health Care Professional Impairment
PART TWO: BUSINESS ASPECTS OF MEDICAL PRACTICE
6 Health Care Provider Contracts
9 Complementary and Alternative Medicine
10 Practice Organizations and Joint Ventures
11 Coproviders and Institutional Practice
12 Physician as an Employer
13 Health Professionals and the Regulated Industry: The Laws and Regulations Enforced by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
14 Health Insurance and Professional Liability Insurance
15 Patents, Intellectual Property, and Licenses
16 Federal Health Information Privacy Requirements
PART THREE: MEDICOLEGAL AND ETHICAL ENCOUNTERS
17 Ethics and Bioethics
18 Research and Experimentation
19 The Human Genome Project
20 Legal Interests of the Fetal Patient
21 Organ Donation and Transplantation
22 Life Care Planning: Ethical and Legal Issues
23 The Process of Dying
24 Physician-Assisted Suicide and Palliative Sedation
PART FOUR: PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL LIABILITY
25 Medical Malpractice Overview
26 Patient Safety and Health Care Quality
27 Medications Errors
28 Disclosure of Adverse Outcome and Apologizing to Injured Patient
29 Risk Management
30 Alternative Dispute Resolution
31 Physicians-Patient Relationship
32 Competency and Capacity: A Primer
33 Informed Consent to Medical and Surgical Treatment
34 Medical Records: Paper and Electronic
35 Medical Testimony and the Expert Witness
36 Liability of Health Care Entities for Negligent Care
- eBook ISBN: