Intensely practical and highly accessible, this essential handbook provides a key reference for any optometrist needing to give objective information to patients considering laser eye surgery. It follows a typical patient journey through the LASIK procedure and covers the normal outcomes as well as any complications. All aspects of the optometrist's role are covered, from pre-selection, referral and data collection through to counselling, procedures and aftercare. If you want to give your patients an informed opinion about refractive surgery or are co-managing LASIK patients, you cannot be without this information.
- Highly practical, bullet points, tables, boxes, practical advice, clinical tips
- Covers patient journey through the procedure - what goes right as well as what can go wrong
- Important ancillary material on www.optometryonline.net guidelines, protocols, decision making pathways, videoclips of procedures
- Highly illustrated and beautifully designed so that you can find the information instantly and at a glance when you are working in a busy clinic
- Very synoptic but wide ranging in its contents from pre-selection through to post-operative management and referrals.
- An essential white coat pocket book.
1 Guidelines, regulations and standards
2 Referral to a laser eye clinic
3 Pre-operative assessment - data collection
4 Pre-operative assessment - eye examination
5 Pre-operative assessment - patient counselling
6 Treatment - the patient journey
7 Postoperative assessment
8 Post-operative complications
9 Postoperative care
10 The future: Will LASEK supersede LASIK?
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2005
- 2nd March 2005
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Refractive Surgery Clinic Manager, Aston Academy of Life Science; Sessional Lecturer, Department of Optometry & Vision Sciences, Aston University; PQE Examiner, College of Optometrists; Pre-registration Advisor, College of Optometrists, UK