Get the most comprehensive, in-depth coverage on health unit coordinating from the industry’s most popular text! Expert authors Elaine Gillingham and Monica Wadsworth Seibel offer in-depth discussion of key theories and concepts surrounding the profession and guide you through the common responsibilities of a health unit coordinator in both traditional and electronic medical record environments. From greeting new patients and dealing with visitors to transcribing physicians' orders, maintaining statistical reports, and preparing patient charts, this text will prepare you for success across all areas of health unit coordination.
- Certification Review Guide with mock certification exam is included on the Evolve site with every purchase of the book.
- Step-by-step instructions on how to perform important procedures include in-depth explanations of key tasks and possible modifications that would meet special requirements.
- High Priority boxes throughout the text offer useful information such as lists of addresses, organizations, laboratory studies, hospital specialties, health unit coordinator career ladders, helpful hints, and more, related to chapter discussions.
- Example boxes in the Communication chapters present real-life scenarios that outline the responsibilities of the health unit coordinator in each situation and offer tips on how you can conduct yourself in a professional and helpful manner.
- Bad handwriting examples give you experience deciphering hard-to-read handwriting that you will encounter in practice.Student-friendly features such as outlines, chapter objectives, vocabulary, and abbreviations are included at the beginning of each chapter to set the stage for the important information to be covered later in the chapter.
- References within the text to the companion skills practice manual and online tools direct you to hands-on exercises that stress the practical applications of skills and procedures in a simulated health care environment.
Section 1: Orientation to Hospitals, Medical Centers, and Health Care
- 1. Health Unit Coordinating
- 2. Overview of Health Care Today
- 3. The Nursing Department and Medical Staff
- 4. Communication Devices and Their Uses
Section 2: Personal and Professional Skills
- 5. Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- 6. Workplace Behavior
- 7. Management Techniques and Problem-Solving Skills for Health Unit Coordinating
Section 3: The Patient's Electronis Record or Paper Chart
- 8. The Patient's Electronic Medical Record or Chart
- 9. HUC Role in Processing of Electronic, Pre-Printed, and Handwritten Doctors' Orders
- 10. Patient Activity, Patient Positioning, and Nursing Observation Orders
- 11. Nursing Intervention or Treatment Orders
- 12. Nutritional Care Orders
- 13. Medication Orders
- 14. Laboratory Orders
- 15. Diagnostic Imaging Orders
- 16. Other Diagnostic Studies
- 17. Treatment Orders
- 18. Miscellaneous Orders
Section 4: Health Unit Coordinator Procedures
- 19. Admission, Preoperative, and Postoperative Procedures
- 20. Discharge, Transfer, and Postmortem Procedures
- 21. Reports, Infection Control, Emergencies, and Special Services
Section 5: Introduction to Anatomical Structures, Medical Terms, and Illnesses
- 22. Medical Terminology, Basic Human Structure, Diseases, and Disorders
- Appendix A: Abbreviations
- Appendix B: Word Parts