Apply the five patterns of knowing to improve patient care! Knowledge Development in Nursing: Theory and Process, 10th Edition helps you understand nursing theory and its links with nursing research and practice. It examines the principles of knowledge development, from the relationship between patterns of knowing to their use in evidence-based nursing care. Written by nursing educators Peggy Chinn and Maeona Kramer, this unique book is updated with new examples from clinical practice.
Coverage of the five Patterns of Knowing includes empiric, personal, aesthetic, ethical, and emancipatory knowledge, defining the different types of knowledge and how they relate to each other.
- Full-color map in the book and online animation depict how the patterns of knowing are related.
- Think About It questions sharpen your understanding of the emancipatory knowing process of praxis — a synthesis of thoughtful reflection, caring, and action.
- Discussion of evidence-based practice provides examples of how the five patterns of knowing may be applied to nursing practice.
- Interpretive summaries highlight the interrelatedness of all patterns of knowing, making it easier to master all dimensions of knowing.
- A glossary defines the key terms and concepts of nursing theory.
1. Nursing’s Fundamental Patterns of Knowing
2. The History of Knowledge Development in Nursing
3. Emancipatory Knowledge Development
4. Ethical Knowledge Development
5. Personal Knowledge Development
6. Aesthetic Knowledge Development
7. Empiric Knowledge Development
8. Description and Critical Reflection of Empiric Theory
9. Knowledge Authentication Processes
10. Integrated Expression of Knowledge in Practice
11. Integrated Expressions: Strengthening the Discipline
Appendix: Interpretive Summary: Examples of Broad Theoretic Frameworks Defining the Scope, Philosophy, and General Characteristics of Nursing
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2019
- 8th December 2017
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
University of Connecticut School of Nursing, Storrs, CT
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT