A clear, concise approach provides the anatomical information you need to excel in massage therapy! Know the Body: Muscle, Bone, and Palpation Essentials covers muscle identification plus attachments, actions, stabilization functions, nerve innervation, palpation, and treatment considerations for each of those muscles. Hundreds of full-color illustrations make it easier to learn muscle and bone identification, as well as bony landmarks. Written by expert massage therapy practitioner and educator Joseph E. Muscolino, Know the Body helps you learn — not simply memorize — the essentials of muscles, bones, and palpation.
Winner of the 2012 Association of American Publishers PROSE Award, Nursing & Allied Health Sciences!
- Full-color, overlay-style muscle illustrations show anatomical structures and include origin and insertion labeling.
- An introductory overview includes chapters on terminology, the skeletal system, muscle function, and bone palpation.
- Coverage of bones includes the bones and bony landmarks for each body region.
- Review activities in muscle region chapters include short case studies highlighting common conditions related to specific muscles and review questions.
- Treatment considerations explain how to apply muscle and palpation knowledge in massage practice.
- An illustrated stretching atlas is included as the appendix.
- A companion CD includes an interactive review of muscles.
1. Basic Kinesiology Terminology
2. The Skeletal System
3. How Muscles Function
4. Bone Palpation
5. Muscles of the Shoulder Girdle and Arm
6. Muscles of the Forearm and Hand
7. Muscles of the Spine and Rib Cage
8. Muscles of the Head
9. Muscles of the Pelvis and Thigh
10. Muscles of the Leg and Foot
Appendix: Stretching Atlas
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2011
- 11th November 2011
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Muscolino is a licensed soft-tissue oriented chiropractic physician with a private practice in Stamford, CT. He has been in practice since 1985. He has taught A&P, kinesiology, and musculoskeletal anatomy and pathology courses at SUNY and the Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy (CCMT). Dr. Muscolino is also an approved provider by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) for continuing education (CE) credit for massage therapists and bodyworkers and runs numerous advanced study workshops.
Instructor, Purchase College, State University of New York, Purchase, New York; Owner, The Art and Science of Kinesiology, Redding, Connecticut
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.