Comprehensive Medical Assisting begins with Kinn! Elsevier’s 60th Anniversary edition of Kinn’s The Medical Assistant, 13th Edition provides you with real-world administrative and clinical skills that are essential to working in the modern medical office. An applied learning approach to the MA curriculum is threaded throughout each chapter to help you further develop the tactile and critical thinking skills necessary for working in today’s healthcare setting. Paired with our adaptive solutions, real –world simulations, EHR documentation and HESI remediation and assessment, you will learn the leading skills of modern administrative and clinical medical assisting in the classroom!
- Basics of Diagnostic Coding prepares you to use the ICD-10 coding system.
- Learning objectives listed in the same order as content makes it easy to review material.
- Clinical procedures integrated into the TOC give you a quick reference point.
- Professional behavior boxes provide guidelines on how to interact with patients, families, and coworkers.
- Patient education and legal and ethical issues are described in relation to the Medical Assistant's job.
- Applied approach to learning helps you use what you’ve learned in the clinical setting.
- Learning objectives and vocabulary with definitions highlight what’s important in each chapter.
- Critical thinking applications test your understanding of the content.
- Step-by-step procedures explain complex conditions and abstract concepts.
- Rationales for each procedure clarify the need for each step and explains why it’s being performed.
- Portfolio builder helps you demonstrate your mastery of the material to potential employers.
Unit 1: Introduction to Medical Assisting
1.The Medical Assistant and Competency-Based Education – NEW!
2.The Medical Assistant and the Healthcare Team
3.Professional Behavior in the Workplace
5. Medicine and Law
6. Medicine and Ethics
Unit 2: Ambulatory Care Administration
7. Technology and Written Communication in the Medical Office – NEW!
8. Telephone Techniques
9. Scheduling Appointments and Patient Processing
10. Daily Operations in the Ambulatory Care Setting
11. The Health Record – NEW!
Unit 3: Coding and Medical Billing Procedures
12. Basics of Diagnostic Coding
13. Basics of Procedural Coding
14. Basics of Health Insurance
15. Medical Billing and Reimbursement
Unit 4: Medical Office Administrative Functions
16. Patient Accounts, Collections and Practice Management
17. Banking Services and Procedures
18. Supervision and Human Resources Management
19. Medical Practice Marketing and Customer Service
Unit 5: Fundamentals of Clinical Medical Assisting
20. Infection Control
21. Patient Assessment
22. Patient Education
23. Nutrition and Health Promotion
24. Vital Signs
25. Assisting with the Primary Physical Examination
Unit 6: Assisting with Medications
26. Principles of Pharmacology
27. Pharmacy Math
28. Administering Medications
Unit 7: Assisting with Medical Specialties
29. All-Hazard Preparedness and Assisting with Medical Emergencies
30. Assisting with Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology
31. Assisting in Dermatology
32. Assisting in Gastroenterology
33. Assisting in Urology and Male Reproduction
34. Assisting in Obstetrics and Gynecology
35. Assisting in Pediatrics
36. Assisting in Orthopedic Medicine
37. Assisting in Neurology and Mental Health
38. Assisting in Endocrinology
39. Assisting in Pulmonary Medicine
40. Assisting in Cardiology
41. Assisting in Geriatrics
Unit 8: Diagnostic Procedures
42. Principles of Electrocardiography
43. Assisting with Diagnostic Imaging
44. Assisting in the Clinical Laboratory
45. Assisting in the Analysis of Urine
46. Assisting in Blood Collection
47. Assisting in the Analysis of Blood
48. Assisting in Microbiology and Immunology
Unit 9: Assisting with Surgeries
49. Surgical Supplies and Instruments
50. Surgical Asepsis and Assisting with Surgical Procedures
Unit 10: Career Development
51. Career Development and Life Skills
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2017
- 24th May 2016
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor and Director, Medical Assisting Program, Butler County Community College, Butler, PA
Medical Assistant Program Director & Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Julie Pepper, BS, CMA (AAMA), has spent her entire career in health care, first as a medical assistant in a variety of offices and clinics, developing expertise in the electronic health record. She combines her education in dietetics with her clinical and administrative experience as an instructor in the Medical Assisting program at Chippewa Valley Technical College in Wisconsin, where she has taught for the past 18 years. Julie is also the program director for the college’s new Health Navigator program.
Medical Assistant Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
AHIMA Approved ICD-10 Trainer COO, PPJ Enterprises Upland, California
Martha (Marti) Garrels is a former Professor and Program Director of the Medical Assisting program at Ivy Tech Community College in South Bend, Indiana, and Lake Washington Institute of Technology in Kirkland, Washington. She has been an active member of the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) for more than 25 years.
Medical Assisting Program Consultant, Retired Medical Assisting Program Director, Lake Washington Institute of Technology, Kirkland, Washington
Helen Mills, RN, MSN, RMA, LXMO, AHI Medical Assisting Program Coordinator and Advisor Keiser University Port St. Lucie, Florida
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.