Clinical Medical Assisting begins with Kinn! Elsevier’s Kinn’s The Clinical Medical Assistant, 13th Edition provides you with the real-world clinical skills that are essential to working in the modern medical office. An applied learning approach to the MA curriculum is threaded throughout each chapter to help you further develop the tactile and critical thinking skills necessary to assist with medications, diagnostic procedures, and surgeries. Paired with our adaptive solutions, real-world simulations, EHR documentation and HESI remediation and assessment, you will learn the leading skills of modern clinical medical assisting in the classroom!
- Applied approach to learning helps you use what you’ve learned in the clinical setting.
- Clinical procedures integrated into the TOC provide you with a quick reference.
- Detailed learning objectives and vocabulary with definitions highlight what’s important in each chapter.
- Step-by-step procedures explain complex conditions and abstract concepts.
- Rationales for each procedure clarify the need for each step and explains why it’s being performed.
- Critical thinking applications test your understanding of the content.
- Patient education and legal and ethical issues are described in relation to the clinical Medical Assistant's job.
- Threaded case scenarios help you apply concepts to realistic clinical situations.
- Portfolio builder helps you demonstrate clinical proficiency to potential employers.
Unit 1: Introduction to Clinical Medical Assisting
1. The Medical Assistant and Competency-Based Education
2. The Health Record
3. Infection Control
4. Patient Assessment
5. Patient Education
6. Nutrition and Health Promotion
7. Vital Signs
8. Assisting with the Primary Physical Examination
Unit 2: Assisting with Medications
9. Principles of Pharmacology
10. Pharmacy Math
11. Administering Medications
Unit 3: Assisting with Medical Specialties
12. All-Hazard Preparedness and Assisting with Medical Emergencies
13. Assisting with Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology
14. Assisting in Dermatology
15. Assisting in Gastroenterology
16. Assisting in Urology and Male Reproduction
17. Assisting in Obstetrics and Gynecology
18. Assisting in Pediatrics
19. Assisting in Orthopedic Medicine
20. Assisting in Neurology and Mental Health
21. Assisting in Endocrinology
22. Assisting in Pulmonary Medicine
23. Assisting in Cardiology
24. Assisting in Geriatrics
Unit 4: Diagnostic Procedures
25. Principles of Electrocardiography
26. Assisting with Diagnostic Imaging
27. Assisting in the Clinical Laboratory
28. Assisting in the Analysis of Urine
29. Assisting in Blood Collection
30. Assisting in the Analysis of Blood
31. Assisting in Microbiology and Immunology
Unit 5: Assisting with Surgeries
32. Surgical Supplies and Instruments
33. Surgical Asepsis and Assisting with Surgical Procedures
Unit 6: Career Development
34. Career Development and Life Skills
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2017
- 26th May 2016
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor and Director, Medical Assisting Program, Butler County Community College, Butler, PA
Medical Assistant Program Director & Instructor Chippewa Valley Technical College Eau Claire, WI
Medical Assistant Instructor Chippewa Valley Technical College Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Medical Assisting Program Consultant Retired Medical Assisting Program Director Lake Washington Institute of Technology Kirkland, Washington
Helen Mills, RN, MSN, RMA, LXMO, AHI Medical Assisting Program Coordinator and Advisor Keiser University Port St. Lucie, Florida