The tenth edition of Introduction to Security provides an overview of the security industry with emphasis on the theories of security and loss prevention that have shaped the profession. Security is covered in totality, providing the reader a glimpse of the various diverse components that make up the security function. Introduction to Security has been the go-to textbook on the subject for more than 30 years, and has been recommended reading for those preparing for ASIS International certification exams. This fully updated edition continues to utilize the basic concepts that have made this text the premier primer in the security field, while also focusing on current and future security issues.
- Uses a three-part structure (Introduction, Basics of Defense, and Specific Threat and Solutions) that allows for easy progression of learning
- Covers the basics of security operations, as well as in-depth information on hot topics such as transportation security, workplace violence, retail security, cyber security and piracy
- Includes information on the latest applied security technologies
- Examines evolving trends thoroughly, with a focus on the future of security
- Includes recommended reading for ASIS International’s certification exams
- Serves the needs of multiple audiences, as both a textbook and a professional desk reference. Relevant courses include: Introduction to Security, Security Management, Principles and Theory of Security Management, Security Administration
Undergraduate students enrolled in security and criminal justice programs; security professionals preparing for ASIS International's Physical Security Professional certification; entry-level security professionals interested in learning more about the profession
Section 1: Cloud
1. A Brief History of the Cloud
2. Where the Puck Is
3. Turning the Titanic
4. New Entrants
Sunk investment in legacy systems
Section 2: Mobile
6. There’s an App for That
7. Situational Awareness
8. My phone, my identity
Section 3: IoT
10. Everything is a Sensor
11. IoT Has a Job to Do
12. All Security is Cyber Security
13. IoT Models for Physical Security
Section 4: Big Data
14. What is Big Data?
15. What can it do for security?
16. How can it be used today?
Section 5: Social Spaces
Section 6: Five Forces in Five Years
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2019
- 1st June 2018
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Robert Fischer is President of Assets Protection Associates, Inc., a security consulting firm established in 1986. He earned his Ph.D. in education administration from Southern Illinois University in 1981. Dr. Fischer has served as a consultant to many organizations, including publishers, private security firms, retailers, and school districts. Dr. Fischer is a member of the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, the American Society for industrial Security, The Academy if Security Educators and Trainers, and the International Police Association. He recently retired from his positions as the Director of Illinois Law Enforcement Executive Institute, a project of the Illinois Law Enforcement and Standards Board, and as a professor of law enforcement and justice administration at Western Illinois University.
Western Illinois University (retired); President of Assets Protection Associates, Inc., Macomb, IL, USA
Edward Halibozek is currently a security consultant and part-time instructor for California State University, Fullerton. He retired from Northrop Grumman Corporation in August, 2011 after more than 26 years with the company. His most recent position was the Vice President of Security. Mr. Halibozek chaired the Northrop Grumman Security Council, which is the company’s key deliberative body for security, contingency planning, investigations and fire services. He was also responsible for Executive Protection services. Mr. Halibozek served as a member of the National Industrial Security Program Policy Advisory Council (NISPAC). Mr. Halibozek holds a Master of Science degree in Criminal Justice from California State University and an MBA from Pepperdine University.
Part-time instructor, California State University, Fullerton, CA, USA
Director of global security at a high-tech company based in San Jose, CA, USA