Learn the latest healthcare and human service research methods! Introduction to Research: Understanding and Applying Multiple Strategies, 6th Edition helps bridge the gap between research and practice by giving you a solid foundation for critiquing your own work. This easy-to-read guide covers all the major research design strategies: qualitative, quantitative, naturalistic, experimental-type, and mixed method. Plus, the 6th edition has been updated to include contemporary references, an expanded discussion of big data, updated research methods, and more!
- Comprehensive coverage of research designs helps you to further understand how to apply these methods to healthcare and human service settings.
- Detailed coverage of qualitative and quantitative methodologies offer a unique and balanced focus that makes this text more comprehensive than others in its field.
- Case examples provide real-life snapshots of what it is like to participate in different types of research processes, identify research dilemmas relevant to chapter subjects, and alert you to problems you might encounter.
Part I: Introduction
1. Research as an Important Way of Knowing
2. Essentials of Research
3. Research Ethics
Part II: Thinking Processes
4. Philosophical Foundations
5. Framing the Problem
6. Developing a Knowledge Base Through Literature and Resources
7. Theory in Research
8. Formulating Research Questions and Queries
9. Language and Thinking Processes
Part III: Design Approaches
10. Experimental-Type Designs
11. Naturalistic Designs
12. Mixed Method Designs
Part IV: Action Processes
13. Setting the Boundaries of a Study
14. Boundary Setting in Experimental-Type Designs
15. Boundary Setting in Naturalistic Designs
16. Collecting Information
17. Collecting Data Through Measurement in Experimental-Type Research
18. Gathering Information in Naturalistic Inquiry
19. Preparing and Organizing Data
20. Statistical Analysis for Experimental-Type Designs
21. Analysis in Naturalistic Inquiry
22. Sharing Research Knowledge Before the Study
23. Sharing Research Knowledge During and After the Study
Part V: Improving Practice Through Inquiry
24. Reciprocal Role of Research and Practice
25. Stories from the Field
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2021
- 13th November 2019
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
University of Maine, Orono, ME
Distinguished University Professor Dean, College of Nursing and Health Professions Drexel University Adjunct Professor, Johns Hopkins school of Nursing
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.