Introduction to Pharmacology
- Straightforward, easy-to-digest drug monographs focus on essential information including drug names (both generic and trade), need-to-know drug information, and typical drug dosages.
- Math review refreshes your knowledge of basic math and provides practice in drug dosage calculation.
- Considerations boxes highlight the unique safety issues of drug therapy in children, pregnant and nursing women, and older adults.
- Clinical Implications in each chapter relate drug content to safe and effective drug administration and patient teaching.
- Herb Alert boxes highlight herb-drug interactions and contraindications for the safety of patients relying on complementary and alternative therapies.
- Critical Thinking Questions in most chapters let you apply concepts to realistic clinical situations and issues.
- Review Questions at the end of each chapter help you assess your mastery of the material, with answers in the back of the book.
- UNIQUE! Drug Therapy in Women chapter addresses the special considerations of drug therapy in women.
- UNIQUE! Molecular and Targeted Therapies chapter covers emerging drugs that are aimed at specific tissues, genes, and target organs.
Table of Contents
Unit One: Mathematics of Drug Dosage
1. Basic Math Review
Unit Two: Principles of Pharmacology
2. Introduction to Pharmacology
3. Drug Legislation and Drug Standards
4. Introduction to Drug Dosage
5. Administration of Medications
6. Vitamins, Minerals, and General Nutrition
Unit Three: Drug Classifications
7. Antibiotics and Antifungal, Antiviral, and Antiparasitic Agents
9. Drugs that Affect the Skin and Mucous Membranes
10. Drugs that Affect the Respiratory System
11. Drugs that Affect the Circulatory System
12. Drugs that Affect the Central Nervous System
13. Pain Medications
14. Tranquilizers and Antidepressants
15. Prostaglandins and Prostaglandin Inhibitors
16. Drugs that Affect the Autonomic Nervous System
17. Drugs that Affect the Digestive System
18. The Endocrine Glands and Hormones
19. Diuretics and Other Drugs that Affect the Urinary System
20. Immunizing Agents and Immunosuppressives
21. Antineoplastic Drugs
22. Molecular and Targeted Therapies
Unit Four: Special Situations in Pharmacology
23. Drug Therapy in Women
24. Drug Therapy in Older Adults
25. Drug Therapy in Children NEW!
26. Home Health and End-of-Life Care
27. Substance Abuse
28. Herbal Therapies and Drug-Herb Interactions
29. Interactions NEW!
Answers to Exercises and Review Questions
- No. of pages: 304
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Saunders 2011
- Published: September 27, 2011
- Imprint: Saunders
- eBook ISBN: 9780323339735
- Paperback ISBN: 9781437717068
About the Authors
Mary Asperheim Favaro
Affiliations and Expertise
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Introduction to Pharmacology"