Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Introduction to International Disaster Management, Fourth Edition offers an unbiased, global perspective for students and practitioners alike. It provides a comprehensive understanding of the disaster management profession, covering the varied sources of risk and vulnerability, the systems that exist to manage hazard risk, and the many different stakeholders involved, from individuals to global organizations. This text also serves as a reference on scores of disaster management topics, including various technological and intentional hazards, on international disaster management structures and systems, on global humanitarian spending and support, and much more.
Taking a real-world approach with considerable illustration through case studies and recent and historical disaster events, this book prepares students interested in joining the disaster management community to understand the work they will be doing. In addition, it assists those who already work with the disaster management community by helping them better navigate this complex environment.
- Includes sections on the Ebola epidemic, the Nepal Earthquake, the 2015/2016 Western U.S. Wildfires, the Indonesia Palm Oil Fires, Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria, the Mexico City Earthquake, emerging hazards like trash avalanches, and more
- Provides a valuable introduction on the groundbreaking Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (2015-2030) signed in March of 2015, along with an explanation of the relationship of this effort to Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement
- Explores the importance of global disaster risk reduction
- Covers key terms and chapter summaries, as well as instructor resources, support learning and instruction
Academic (undergraduate, masters, and Ph.D. granting institutions) and professionals in disaster risk reduction, development, emergency management, and humanitarian affairs
- The Management of Disasters
3. Risk and Vulnerability
8. Participants: Governmental Disaster Management Agencies
9. Participants: Nongovernmental Organizations, Academia, and the Private Sector
10. Participants: Multilateral Organizations and International Financial Institutions
11. Special Considerations
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2022
- 1st January 2021
- Paperback ISBN:
Damon P. Coppola is the founder of Shoreline Risk LLC and a Partner with Bullock & Haddow LLC. He has extensive experience in disaster management capacity development, disaster risk management, and planning through his work with the United Nations; the World Bank Group; The US Federal Emergency Management Agency; and the US Army Corps of Engineers, among others. Mr. Coppola serves as a Senior Disaster Management Specialist at the Hawaii-based Pacific Disaster Center and is a faculty member at Loma Linda University and the University of Hawaii. He holds an M.E.M in Crisis, Emergency, and Risk Management from George Washington University and an A.R.M. from the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters.
Partner, Bullock and Haddow LLC, Singapore
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.