This practical guide provides a hands-on approach to diagnosis and management of swallowing disorders, designed to help readers establish a basis for clinical decision-making regarding dysphagic patients. Beginning with the anatomy and physiology of swallowing, it explores the range of swallowing disorders, the clinical and instrumental examination, and treatment strategies. Clinical decision making and treatment options evolve logically from the preceding chapters. Easy-to-read discussions simplify complex issues. Both authors are nationally recognized leaders in the field, and readers will benefit from the expert clinical tips they provide in this manual.
- Provides essential coverage of the range of swallowing disorders, the clinical and laboratory examination, and treatment strategies.
- Includes expert clinical tips from the authors who are nationally recognized as leaders in the field.
- Offers a hands-on, treatment-oriented approach to the diagnosis and management of swallowing disorders.
- Pedagogical features include Take Home Notes, Case Studies, Chapter Terms, and Chapter Review Questions.
- Chapters are easily treated as separate lecture topics, making this text ideal for classroom use.
- One-of-a-kind, entry-level text provides balanced coverage of the full spectrum of knowledge needed to prepare one entering the field of dysphagia management.
- Overview of the Problem
2. The Normal Swallow
3. Swallowing Disorders: Overview
4. Neurologic Swallowing Disorders
5. Head and Neck Cancer
6. Functional Nonobstructive Dysphagia
7. The Physical Examination
8. The Instrumental Examination
9. Overview of Treatment Options
10. Behavioral Treatment
11. Swallowing Disorders and Ethics
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2003
- 26th February 2003
- Paperback ISBN:
Professor, Speech-Language Pathology Co-Director, Swallowing Research Laboratory Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders University of Central Florida
Professor, Truesdail Center for Communicative Disorders, University of Redlands, Redlands, CA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.