- Print ISBN 9780444516831
- Electronic ISBN 9780080534749
The book has been written around six main themes:
1. Understanding innovation as a business process and how it has developed through history.
2. For a manager it is essential to appreciate the fundamental difference between inside- and outside-the-box innovation; each one needs its own specific management process.
3. The main roles of the innovation manager are managing the innovation funnel, executing the innovation strategy and optimising the value of the innovation portfolio.
4. Entrepreneurship is the key resource in innovation and the right conditions have to be created for it to flourish in large companies.
5. The value of innovation can be assessed as an option value and in creating intellectual capital for the company.
6. Integrating sustainable development in the innovation process requires changes in the management process, in the assessment and valuation of innovation, and in the interaction with the stakeholders.