Written and edited by the leading authorities in the field, the revised 6th edition of this authoritative reference provides the most up to date and complete guidance on infectious diseases of the fetus and newborn. Together they provide definitive coverage of microbiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and prognosis of infections acquired in utero, during delivery, and in the early months of life in both premature and term infants.
- Provides guidance on infections found in both developed and developing worlds.
- Offers information on breastfeeding and infection transmission.
- Discusses maternal infections when they are pertinent to the infant or developing fetus.
- Features a consistent format and chapter organization that makes reference quick and easy.
- Includes coverage of infections found in utero, during delivery, and in the neonatal period.
I. General Information
1. Current Concepts of Infections of the Fetus and Newborn Infant
2. Neonatal Infections: A Global Perspective
3. Obstetric Factors Associated with Infections of the Fetus and Newborn Infant
4. Developmental Immunology and Role of Host Defenses in Fetal and Neonatal Susceptibility to Infection
5. Human Milk
II. Bacterial Infections
6. Bacterial Sepsis and Meningitis
7. Bacterial Infections of the Respiratory Tract
8. Bacterial Infections of the Bones and Joints
9. Bacterial Infections of the Urinary Tract
10. Focal Bacterial Infections
11. Chlamydia Infections
12. Gonococcal Infections
13. Group B Streptococcal Infections
15. Lyme Disease
16. Mycoplasmal Infections
17. Staphylococcal Infections
20. Microorganisms Responsible for Neonatal Diarrhea
III. Viral Infections
21. Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome in the Infant
22. Chickenpox, Measles, and Mumps
23. Cytomegalovirus Infections
24. Enterovirus and Parechovirus Infections
26. Herpes Simplex Virus Infections
27. Human Parvovirus Infections
29. Smallpox and Vaccinia
30. Less Common Viral Infections
IV. Protozoan, Helminth, and Fungal Infections
32. Less Common Protozoan and Helminth Infections
34. Less Common Fungal Infections (Including Pneumocystis)
V. Diagnosis and Management
35. Infections Acquired in the Nursery: Epidemiology and Control
36. Laboratory Aids for Diagnosis of Neonatal Sepsis
37. Clinical Pharmacology of Antibacterial Agents
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2005
- 23rd September 2005
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Emeritus, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographical Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California; Marcus Krupp Research Chair Emeritus, Research Institute, Palo Alto Medical Foundation, Palo Alto, California
Professor of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine
Professor of Pediatrics, Molecular Virology & Microbiology Head, Section of Infectious Disease Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Director, Discovery and Translational Services, Global Health Program, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Seattle, Washington
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.