The definitive reference for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of small animal infections, Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th Edition delivers current, comprehensive information essential to the management of infectious diseases caused by viruses, rickettsiae, chlamydiae, mycoplasmas, bacteria, fungi, algae, protozoa, and unknown agents. Each section guides you through diagnostic testing for specific microorganisms, from sample collection to laboratory submission to interpretation of results, then details appropriate treatment measures and pharmacologic considerations for the various related infections. Full-color illustrations and hundreds of tables provide quick, convenient access to diagnostic and therapeutic guidelines, and thoroughly updated drug information helps you confidently administer appropriate dosages for the most effective treatment and prevention.
- The most comprehensive infectious disease coverage available helps you confidently address clinical problems related to infectious diseases in dogs and cats, and includes:
- Immunization strategies and environmental control of infections
- Immunodeficiency disorders
- Prevention of infection in multi-pet and shelter settings
- Immunocompromised people and their pets
- Vibrant full-color illustrations clarify disease features and modes of disease transmission for enhanced diagnostic accuracy and disease prevention.
- Convenient tables deliver therapeutic recommendations and drug dosages at a glance.
- Complete antimicrobial drug formulary provides fast, easy access to indications, recommended dosages, and pharmacologic considerations essential for all relevant pharmaceuticals.
- State-of-the-art diagnostic testing procedures help you ensure accurate diagnoses for all clinically relevant pathogens.
- Content reflects the expert insight and vast clinical experience of a panel of trusted authorities on small animal infectious diseases.
- Easy-to-use companion website provides convenient online access to additional images, tables, boxes, appendices, and references linked directly to original PubMed abstracts.
Section I: Viral, Rickettsial, Chlamydial, and Mycoplasmal Diseases
1. Laboratory Diagnosis of Viral and Rickettsial Infections and Epidemiology of Infectious Disease
2. Antiviral and Immunomodulatory Chemotherapy
3. Canine Distemper
4. Infectious Canine Hepatitis, Canine Acidophil Cell Hepatitis
5. Canine Herpesviral Infection
6. Canine Infectious Respiratory Disease
7. Nonrespiratory Parainfluenza Viral Infections of Dogs
8. Canine Enteric Viral Infections
9. Feline Enteric Viral Infections
10. Feline Coronaviral Infections
11. Feline Leukemia Viral Infections
12. Feline Immunodeficiency Viral Infections
13. Feline Adenoviral Infection
14. Feline Respiratory Infections
15. Feline Foamy (Synctium-Forming) Viral Infection
16. Feline Paramyxoviral Infections
17. Poxviral Infection
18. Papillomaviral Infections
19. Miscellaneous Viral Infections
20. Rabies and Other Lyssaviral Infections
22. Enteroviral Infections
23. Influenza Viral Infections
24. Arthropod-Borne Viral Infections
25. Neorickettsia and Wolbachia Infections
26. Ehrlichia and Anaplasma Infections
27. Rocky Mountain and Mediterranean Spotted Fevers, Cat-Flea Typhuslike Illness,
Rickettsialpox, Typhus, and Q Fever
28. Chlamydial Infections
Section II: Bacterial Diseases
29. Hemotrophic Mycoplasmosis (Haemobartonellosis)
30.Mycoplasmal, Ureaplasmal, and L-Form Infections
31. Laboratory Diagnosis of Bacterial Infections
32. Antibacterial Chemotherapy
33. Stroptococcal and Other Gram-Positive Bacterial Infections
34. Staphylococcal Infections
35. Gram-Negative Infections
37. Enteric Bacterial Infections
38. Canine Brucellosis
39. Anaerobic Infections
44. Miscellaneous Bacterial Infections
47. Actinomycosis and Nocardiosis
48. Mycobacterial Infections
50. Abscesses and Pyogranulomatous Inflammation Caused by Bacteria
51. Bite Wound Infections
53. Surgical and Traumatic Wound Infections
Section III: Fungal Diseases
54.Laboratory Diagnosis of Fungal and Algal Infections
55. Antifungal Chemotherapy
56. Cutaneous Fungal Infections
60. Coccidioidomycosis and Paracoccidioidomycosis
62. Aspergillosis and Penicillosis
63. Candidiasis and Rhodotorulosis
65. Miscellaneous Fungal Infections
Section IV: Protozoal Diseases
70. Laboratory Diagnosis of Protozoal Infections
71. Antiprotozoal Chemotherapy
77. Enteric Protozoal Infections
78. Nonenteric Amebiasis
79. Toxoplasmosis and Neosporosis
80. Enteric Coccidiosis
81. Cryptosporidiosis and Cyclosporiasis
82. Neurologic Diseases of Suspected Infectious Origin and Prion Disease
Section V: Clinical Problems
83. Heartworm Disease
84. Integumentary Infections
85. Musculoskeletal Infections
86. Cardiovascular Infections
87. Bacterial Respiratory Infections
88. Gastrointestinal and Intra-Abdominal Infections
89. Hepatobiliary Infections
90. Genitourinary Infections
91. Bacterial Infections of the Central Nervous System
92. Ocular Infections
93. Environmental Factors in Infectious Disease
94. Immunodeficiencies and Infectious Diseases
96. Prevention and Management of Infection in Kennels
97. Prevention and Management of Infectious Diseases in Multiple-Cat Environments
98. Considerations and Management of Infectious Diseases of Feral Cats
99. Immunocompromised People and Shared Human and Animal Infections
100. Immunoprophylaxis and Immunodiagnosis
Antimicrobial Drug Formulary
Web Appendix 1: Recommendations for Core and Noncore Vaccinations of Dogs
Web Appendix 2: Recommendations for Core and Noncore Vaccinations of Cats
Web Appendix 3: Canine and Feline Biologics Manufacturers and Products Available Worldwide
Web Appendix 4: Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control
Web Appendix 5: Laboratory Testing for Infectious Diseases of Dogs and Cats
Web Appendix 6: Manufacturers of Diagnostic Test Kits and Their Products
Web Appendix 7: Disease Rule-Outs for Medical Problems
Web Appendix 8: Concentrations and Dosages of Locally Used Ocular Antibacterial Agents
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2012
- 5th December 2011
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Dr. Sykes is the founder of the International Society of Companion Animal Infectious Diseases; a group dedicated to enhancing control of infectious diseases in animals and thus reducing spread of disease. She has authored several book chapters on canine and feline infectious diseases. She reviews manuscripts for several major international veterinary journals and has been an editor for the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine and has served on the editorial board for American Journal of Veterinary Research.
Director, Small Animal Clinic; William R. Pritchard Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital and Professor; Department of Medicine and Epidemiology; University of California; Davis, California
Professor, Department of Small Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
"The definitive reference for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of small animal infections, Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat 4th Edition delivers current comprehgensive information essential to the management of infectious diseases...Full colour illustrations, hundreds of tables provide quick, access to diagnostic and therapeutic guidelines, thoroughly updated drug information helps you confidently adminster appropriate dosages."
Dier-en-Arts, April 2014
"All chapters have been extensively updated since the last edition due to the massive amount of new information available...The text is informative and well written, the images lift the text and are of good quality...The reader obtains an excellent understanding of infectious diseases when reading this book. The chapters are rigorously structured covering aetiology, epidemoiology, pathogenesis, clinical signs, diagnosis, pathological findings, therapy, preventative measures and when appropriate, public health considerations. The book is useful for all those interested in dog and cat medicine, and especially for anyone who is studying for further qualifications in internal medicine...The practical usefulness of this book cannot be overstated, and it deserves a position in every veterinary school and on the bookshelves of all veterinary clinics."
EJCAP, January 2013
"This comprehensive textbook of over 1300 pages tells you everything you need to know about infectious disease in dogs and cats...Some textbooks on infectious diseases are laid out by mircobiological categories while others are ordered by clinical problem- this book does both in separate sections so offers the best of both worlds...In conclusion, this would be an excellent book for a library collection as a textbook for veterinary collection as a textbook for veterinary students as well as for those with an interest in infectious disease. As a large hardback textbook it may not be suitable for all practitioners, but it would be a welcome addition to the practice library. While covering all the recent informatiion on pathogens, including molecular details, the text is easy to read and benefits greatly from a large number of well laid out tables."
Veterinary Record, January 2013
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.