- Reviews safety and quality issues in farmed fish and presents methods to improve product characteristics
- Discusses contaminants, persistent organic pollutants and veterinary drug residues and methods for their reduction and control
- Addresses important quality issues, genetic control of flesh characteristics and the effects of feed on product nutritional and sensory quality
Table of Contents
- Part 1 Chemical contaminants, chemical use in aquaculture and farmed fish safety: The risks and benefits of consumption of farmed fish; Environmental contaminants in farmed fish and potential consequences for seafood safety; Pesticide contamination in farmed fish: Assessing risks and reducing contamination; Veterinary drug use in aquaculture; Assessing the human health implications of new veterinary drugs used in fish farming; Antibiotic resistance associated with veterinary drug use in fish farms; Improving disease immunity to reduce antibiotic use in farmed fish; Different methods to reduce antibiotic use in farmed fish. Part 2 Improving farmed fish quality: Understanding dietary factors affecting flesh quality in farmed fish; Improving farmed fish quality by selective breeding; Alternative lipid sources for fish feed and farmed fish quality; Plant proteins as alternative sources for fish feed and farmed fish quality; Alternative marine sources of fish feed and farmed fish quality; Tailor-made functional seafood for consumers: Dietary modulation of selenium and taurine in farmed fish; Reducing production related diseases in farmed fish; Microbiological quality and safety of farmed fish; Parasites in farmed fish and fishery products; Colouration and flesh quality in farmed salmon and trout; Off-flavour problems in farmed fish; Husbandry techniques and fish quality. Part 3 Managing farmed fish quality and safety: HACCP and other programs to ensure safe products and for sustainable fish farming; Monitoring and surveillance to improve farmed fish safety; Confirming the origin of wild and farmed fish; Farmed fish labelling.
- No. of pages: 648
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Woodhead Publishing 2008
- Published: August 20, 2008
- Imprint: Woodhead Publishing
- eBook ISBN: 9781845694920
About the Editor
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Improving Farmed Fish Quality and Safety"