Building on a solid foundation of knowledge and skills, this classic text from trusted author Mary Louise Turgeon clearly explains everything from basic immunologic mechanisms and serologic concepts to the theory behind procedures performed in the lab. This go-to resource prepares you for everything from mastering automated techniques to understanding immunoassay instrumentation and disorders of infectious and immunologic origin. Packed with learning objectives, review questions, step-by-step procedures, and case studies, this text is the key to your success in today’s modern laboratory environment.
- Procedural protocols help you transition from immunology theory to practical aspects of the clinical lab.
- Case studies allow you to apply your knowledge to real-world situations and strengthen your critical thinking skills.
- Updated illustrations, photographs, and summary tables visually clarify key concepts and information.
- Full-color presentation clearly showcases diagrams and micrographs, giving you a sense of what you will encounter in the lab.
- Learning objectives and key terms at the beginning of each chapter provide measurable outcomes and a framework for organizing your study efforts.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter provide you with review and self-assessment opportunities.
Part I: Basic Immunologic Mechanisms
1. Highlights of Innate and Adaptive Immune Systems
2. Soluble Mediators of the Immune System
3. Antigens and Antibodies
4. Cellular Activities and Clinical Disorders of Innate and Adaptive Immunity
Part II: The Theory of Immunologic and Serologic Procedures
5. Basic Safety in the Immunology-Serology Laboratory
6. Quality Assurance and Quality Control Practices
7. Basic Serologic Laboratory: Techniques and Clinical Applications
8. Precipitation and Particle Agglutination Methods
9. Electrophoresis Techniques
10. Labeling Techniques in Immunoassay
11. Flow Cytometry
12. Molecular Laboratory Techniques
Part III: Immunologic Manifestations of Infectious Diseases
13. Infectious Diseases: Overview & TORCH Diseases
14. Streptococcal Infections
16. Vector-Borne Diseases
17. Infectious Mononucleosis
18. Viral Hepatitis
Part IV: Immune Disorders
19. Primary and Acquired (Secondary) Immune Deficiencies
20. Hypersensitivity Reactions
21. Immunoproliferative Disorders
22. Tolerance, Autoimmunity and Autoimmune Disorders
23. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
24. Rheumatoid Arthritis
Part V: Transplantation & Tumor Immunology
25. Transplantation: HLA, Solid Organ, and Hematopoietic Stem Cells
26. Tumor Immunology and Up-to-Date Applications of Next Generation Sequencing
Part VI: Vaccines
27. Primer on Vaccines
Appendix A: Answers to Case Study Multiple-Choice Questions
Appendix B: Answers to Review Questions
Appendix C: Origin and Immunoregulatory Activity of Cytokines
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2021
- 16th December 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
Kyle Miller MS, MLS (ASCP)CM, MBCM will be joining Mary Lou Turgeon on the 9th edition as Associate Editor. Kyle currently serves as a Clinical Chemistry Specialist for Covenant Healthcare, and has contributed to Immunology & Serology, as well as authored questions on Chemistry, Lab Administration, Hematology, and Microbiology for MediaLab’s ASCP BOC exam simulator.
Associate Professor (Adjunct), University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas; Clinical Laboratory Education Consultant, Mary L. Turgeon and Associates, Boston, Massachusetts; St. Petersburg, Florida
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.