Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Human Biochemistry, Second Edition provides a comprehensive, pragmatic introduction to biochemistry as it relates to human development and disease. Here, Gerald Litwack, award-wining researcher and longtime teacher, discusses the biochemical aspects of organ systems and tissue, cells, proteins, enzymes, insulins and sugars, lipids, nucleic acids, amino acids, polypeptides, steroids, and vitamins and nutrition, among other topics. Fully updated to address recent advances, the new edition features fresh discussions on hypothalamic releasing hormones, DNA editing with CRISPR, new functions of cellular prions, plant-based diet and nutrition, and much more.
Grounded in problem-driven learning, this new edition features clinical case studies, applications, chapter summaries, and review-based questions that translate basic biochemistry into clinical practice, thus empowering active clinicians, students and researchers.
- Presents an update on a past edition winner of the 2018 Most Promising New Textbook (College) Award (Texty) from the Textbook and Academic Authors Association and the PROSE Award of the Association of American Publishers
- Provides a fully updated resource on current research in human and medical biochemistry
- Includes clinical case studies, applications, chapter summaries and review-based questions
- Adopts a practice-based approach, reflecting the needs of both researchers and clinically oriented readers
Active researchers in biochemistry, molecular biology, pharmaceutical science, and cellular biology; medical chemists; Medical students, dentistry students, pharmaceutical students, and graduate students in medical biochemistry
- Organ Systems and Tissues
2. The Cell
3. Water, pH, Buffers, General Features of Receptors, Channels and Pumps
6. Insulin and Sugars
7. Glycogen and Glycogenolysis
8. Glycolysis and Gluconeogensis
10. Nucleic Acids and Molecular Genetics
11. Protein Biosynthesis
13. Metabolism of Amino Acids
14. Metabolism of Fat, Carbohydrate and Nucleic Acids
15. Polypeptide Hormones
16. Steroid Hormones
17. Growth Factors and Cytokines
18. Membrane Transport
19. Micronutrients (Metals and Iodine)
20. Vitamins and Nutrition
21. Blood and lymphatic system
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 1st October 2021
- Academic Press
- Hardcover ISBN:
Dr. Litwack was formerly Professor of Molecular and Cellular Medicine and Associate Director at the Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Texas A & M Health Science Center.
Toluca Lake, North Hollywood, CA, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.