This title is directed primarily towards health care professionals outside of the United States. It provides a handbook for health professionals on the process of Guidelines preparation and implementation - from start to finish. It includes many real life examples of each step in the process as illustrated from existing Guidelines. Information is provided on how to access the extensive literature that is available throughout the world by inclusion of a comprehensive list of important sites - an extremely valuable and time-saving resource.
- An all-in-one handbook on the development and implementation of clinical guidelines
- Step-by-step approach
- Includes lots of examples and references to websites and other useful information
- Covers the following key topics:
- An explanation behind the different methodology used with regard to guidelines.
- How to get started, including assembling a guideline development group.
- Forming clinical questions and searching for evidence in the literature.
- Grading the evidence, including explanations of the different systems available.
- Forming recommendations.
- Consensus processes.
- Implementation and dissemination including the use of algorithms, integrated care pathways and audit tools.
- Appraisal tools.
- Economic considerations in guideline development.
- Legal issues.
Chapter 1. Introduction, M. Atkinson
Chapter 2. Developing a National Guideline, T. Stephenson
Chapter 3. Developing Local Guidelines, M. Atkinson
Chapter 4. Getting started – or Working Back to Front, R. Bowker
Chapter 5. Forming Clinical Questions, R. Bowker
Chapter 6. Searching for Evidence, R.Bowker
Chapter 7. Critical Appraisal and Building Evidence Tables, R. Bowker
Chapter 8. Consensus Processes, K. Armon
Chapter 9. The Delphi Consensus Process, K. Armon
Chapter 10. Health Economics, H.-R. Douglas
Chapter 11. Making Recommendations, M. Lakhanpaul
Chapter 12. The Audit Package, R. MacFaul
Chapter 13. Appraisal, R. Bowker
Chapter 14. Dissemination and Implementation - or Getting the Message Across, M. Lakhanpaul
Chapter 15. Legal Issues, R. Bowker
Appendix 1: The AGREE Appraisal Instrument
Appendix 2: Care Pathways
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2008
- 28th December 2007
- Churchill Livingstone
- Paperback ISBN:
Paediatric Specialist Registrar, Nottingham University Hospital NHS Trust, UK
Senior Lecturer in Child Health, University of Leicester, and Consultant Paediatrician, Leicester Specialist Community Children Services, UK
Clinical Research Fellow, Academic Divsion of Child Health, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Consultant Paediatrician, Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, Norwich, UK
Consultant Paediatrician, Pinderfields General Hospital, Wakefield, UK
Professor of Child Health; Dean, Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences, Medical School, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK