Hormones and Atherosclerosis covers the proceedings of the conference held in Brighton, Utah on March 11-14, 1958. The book focuses on the role of hormones in atherosclerosis, as well as cholesterol metabolism and biosynthesis, lipogenesis, and lipid transport.
The selection first discusses the biosynthesis of cholesterol and aspects of the biosynthesis of cholesterol from mevalonic acid. Discussions focus on components of liver homogenates and coenzymes required for squalene and sterol synthesis from mevalonic acid and preservation of enzymes and microsomes. The text also ponders on the formation and metabolism of bile acids under different conditions and thyroid function, thyroxine analogs, and cholesterol metabolism in rats and rabbits.
The book elaborates on the comparison of the participations of fibroblasts and reticuloendothelial cells in the synthesis and metabolism of cortisol and cholesterol and control of aortal lipid metabolism and lipid movement by hormones and vitamins. The manuscript also examines the influence of estrogens on lipids and atherosclerosis in experimental animals and the effect of adrenals, pituitary, liver, and mucopolysaccharides on blood lipids.
The selection is a dependable reference for readers interested in the relationship of hormones and atherosclerosis.
List of Contributors Conference Membership Preface
- Biosynthesis of Cholesterol
- Some Aspects of the Biosynthesis of Cholesterol from Mevalonic Acid Discussion of Chapters 1 and 2
- The Formation and Metabolism of Bile Acids under Different Conditions Discussion
- Thyroid Function, Thyroxine Analogs, and Cholesterol Metabolism in Rats and Rabbits Discussion
- The Conversion of C14-Acetate to Cholesterol in the Euthyroid and Hypothyroid Dog Discussion
- The Relationship between Thyroid Hormones and Cholesterol, Biosynthesis and Turnover
- Methyltestosterone and the Thyroid Discussion of Chapters 6 and 7
- A Comparison of the Participations of Fibroblasts and Reticuloendothelial Cells in the Synthesis and Metabolism of Cortisol and Cholesterol Discussion
- Influence of Hormones on Lipid Biosynthesis in Liver Discussion
- The Arterial Wall as an Organ
- Control of Aortal Lipid Metabolism and Lipid Movement by Hormones and Vitamins Discussion
- Phospholipid Turnover in Atheromatous Lesions Discussion
- Isotopic Studies of Cholesterol Metabolism in Man Discussion
- Influences of Thyroid, Pancreatic, and Adrenal Hormones on Lipid Metabolism and Atherosclerosis in Experimental Animals Discussion
- Adrenocortical Hormones and Experimental Atherosclerosis Discussion
- Experimental Stress, Blood Lipids, and Atherosclerosis Discussion
- Experimental Atherosclerosis in Dogs Discussion
- Influence of Estrogens on Lipids and Atherosclerosis in Experimental Animals Discussion
- Effect of New Steroids on Blood Lipids Discussion
- Effect of Adrenals, Pituitary, Liver, and Mucopolysaccharides on Blood Lipids Discussion
- The Possible Relationship of the Emotions to Clinical Coronary Heart Disease Discussion
- Influences of Hormones on Circulating Lipids Discussion
- Effect of Desiccated Thyroid Substance and
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 1959
- 1st January 1959
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN: