Table of Contents
- Preface. The emergence of topological dimension theory (T. Crilly, D. Johnson). The concept of manifold 1850 - 1940 (E. Scholz). Development of the concept of homotopy (R. Vanden Eynde). Development of the concept of a complex (G. Burde, H. Zieschang). Differential forms (V.J. Katz). The topological work of Henri Poincaré (K.S.Sarkaria). Weyl and the topology of continuous Groups (T. Hawkins). By their fruits ye shall know them: some remarks on the interaction of general topology with other areas of mathematics (T. Koetsier, J. van Mill). Absolute neighbourhood retracts and shape theory (S. Mardešić). Fixed point theory (R.F. Brown). Geometric aspects in the development of knot theory (M. Epple). Topology and physics - a historical essay (C.Nash). Singularities (A.H. Durfee). One hundred years of manifold topology (S.K.Donaldson). 3-Dimensional topology up to 1960 (C. McA. Gordon). A short history of triangulation and related matters (N. H. Kuiper). Graph theory (R.J.Wilson). The early development of algebraic topology (S. Lefschetz). From combinatorial topology to algebraic topology (I. James). &pgr;
3S(2), H. Hopf. W.K. Clifford, F. Klein (H. Samelson). A history of cohomology theory (W.S. Massey). Fibre bundles, fibre maps (M. Zisman). A history of spectral sequences: origins to 1953 (J. McCleary). Stable algebraic topology 1945-1966 (J.P. May). A history of duality in algebraic topology (J.C. Becker, D.H. Gottlieb). A short history of h-spaces (J.R. Hubbuck). A history of rational homotopy theory (K. Hess). History of homological algebra (C.A.Weibel). Topologists at conferences (I.M. James). Topologists in Hitler's germany (S.L. Segal). The Japanese school of topology (M. Mimura). Some topologists (I.M. James). Johann Benedikt listing (E. Breitenberger). Poul Hegaard (E.S. Munkholm, H.J. Munkholm). Luitzen Egbertus Jan Brouwer ( D. van Dalen). Max Dehn (J. Stillwell). Jakob Nielsen and his contributions to topology (V.L. Hansen). Heinz Hopf (G. Frei, U. Staambach). Hans Freudenthal (W.T. van Est). Herbert Seifert (1907-1996) (D. Puppe). Subject Index.
- No. of pages: 1056
- Language: English
- Copyright: © North Holland 1999
- Published: August 24, 1999
- Imprint: North Holland
- Hardcover ISBN: 9780444823755
- eBook ISBN: 9780080534077
About the Editor
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "History of Topology"