1. Introduction to high-performance apparel
Part I High-performance fabric, materials and manufacture
2. Fibers used for high-performance apparel
3. Advances spinning methods for high-performance apparel
4. Advances weaving technologies for high-performance apparel
5. Advanced knitting technologies for high-performance apparel
6. Functional finishes for high performance textiles
7. Joining techniques for high-performance apparel
8. Testing of high performance fabrics for apparel
Part II Developing high-performance garments
9. Designing high-performance apparel from concept to garment
10. New product development in high-performance apparel
11. Anthropometrics used in high-performance apparel development
12. Body scanning and measurement in high-performance apparel
13. Comfort and durability in high performance clothing
Part III Applications of high-performance apparel and wearable technology
14. Future textiles for high performance apparel
15. Electronics used in high performance apparel
16. Revolutions in wearable technology for apparel
17. High-performance sportswear
18. High-performance apparel for protection
19. Composite textiles used in high-performance apparel
20. Conductive fibers and their role in high-performance apparel
21. High performance apparel for outdoor pursuits
22. Microchip technology used in textile materials
23. High-performance apparel for military applications
24. High-performance apparel for medical professionals
High-Performance Apparel: Materials, Development, and Applications covers the materials and techniques used in creating high-performance apparel, the technical aspects of developing high-performance garments, and an array of applications for high-performance clothing and wearable technology.
Part One covers fabric construction for high-performance garments, from fiber types and spinning methods, to weaving, knitting, finishing, and joining techniques. Development of high-performance apparel is covered in Part Two, with particular emphasis on design and product development for function and wearer comfort. Part Three covers a range of applications and wearable technology that make use of high-performance apparel, including chapters on sportswear, protective clothing, and medical, military, and intelligent textiles.
The book provides an excellent resource for all those engaged in garment development and production, and for academics engaged in research into apparel technology and textile science.
- Offers a range of perspectives on high-performance apparel from an international team of authors with diverse expertise
- Provides systematic and comprehensive coverage of the topic from fabric construction, through apparel design and development, to the range of current and potential applications
- Presents an excellent resource for all those engaged in garment development and production, and for academics engaged in research
Professionals in the apparel and textiles industries, and academic researchers in textile science
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2018
- 1st April 2017
- Woodhead Publishing
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
"This book is intended to be a valuable reference for manufacturing and production engineers, designers, product, developers, and researchers working with products that have to perform under extreme and challenging conditions. Scientific and practical insight is provided on the challenges faced through research and the practicalities of product development." --Asian Textile Journal
Dr John McLoughlin has 40 years’ experience in the textiles industry. As the founder and managing director of consultancy firm JM Associates, he provides technical, quality assurance management and system-building services to the textiles industry, and has worked with high-profile clients including Matalan and Asda. Dr McLoughlin has also been a Senior Lecturer at Manchester Metropolitan University since 2006.
Senior Lecturer, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
Dr Tasneem Sabir is a Senior Lecturer in Textile Technology at Manchester Metropolitan University. As a member of the Hollings Textile Research Team, Dr Sabir supports research and enterprise in areas of material science, plasma proceses, textile testing, quality management, colour science and transdermal delivery systems for medical applications. Dr Saber has delivered specialised courses for industry in areas of product development, specifications to determine quality and fabric and apparel performance testing.
Senior Lecturer in Textile Technology, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK.