Introduction to auscultation
The Aortic area
The Pulmonary area
The Mid Left sternal edge
The Lower Left sternal edge
Awarded The British Medical Association Student Textbook Award 2009, this short and accessible book comes with an interactive CD of heart sounds recorded from actual patients using the latest digital audio technology. Cardiac auscultation is one of the most difficult clinical skills to acquire and competence in this area is extremely variable. With the CD the user can listen to a recording and either eliminate or enhance the different components until they are confident that they have correctly identified the sounds in all phases of the cardiac cycle. This Second Edition uses the latest software and includes new features, such as the ability to slow the heart sounds down without altering their pitch. The layout of the CD has been improved to make it quicker to access. New questions and answers in both the book and the CD allow readers to monitor their knowledge and progress. The visual representation of the cardiac cycle also helps readers understand the origin of the heart sounds.
This CD is suitable for use in all PC/Macs which have a tray-loading CD-ROM drive. It is not compatible with slot-loading CD-ROM drives.
- The book provides a simple guide to cardiac auscultation along with useful teaching points and summaries
- The interactive CD recordings allow the various components of each heart sound to be eliminated and restored to aid understanding
- Using this package of book and CD the reader can gain a full understanding of cardiac auscultation in minutes that can take years to learn in clinical practice
- This CD is suitable for use in all PC/Macs which have a tray-loading CD-ROM drive. It is not compatible with slot-loading CD-ROM drives
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2008
- 24th June 2008
- Churchill Livingstone
- Paperback ISBN:
"This is an excellent combination of book and CD-Rom which covers the difficult to teach topic of cardiac auscultation. The recordings allow students to listen to real recordings of heart sounds in combination with the text and mini-tutorials on the CD. The CD is easy to use and the animated diagrams of the cardiac cycle are very clear."
BMA Book Awards 2009 - judges comments
Paediatric Cardiologist, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
Senior Research Fellow, Department of Medical Physics and Bio-Engineering, University College London, UK
Associate Fellow, Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, University of Southampton, UK
Consultant Paediatric Cardiologist, Wessex Cardiothoracic Centre, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK