Hearing Science Fundamentals is a basic introduction to the concepts and principles necessary to develop an understanding of the hearing processes. From the physics of sound to the anatomy and physiology of the auditory pathway and hearing mechanism, concepts are presented in a user-friendly, simplified manner, with over 100 illustrations to make learning even easier.
- Sections on Acoustics, Structure and Function, and Psychoacoustics detail the physics of sound, as well as anatomical and perception mechanisms.
- Learning objectives and key terms introduce each chapter to enhance student preparation.
- Two-color line drawings illustrate the physics and anatomical structures related to hearing.
- Definitions of key terms are easily accessible in the text and glossary.
- Question and answer boxes reinforce important concepts as presented in the text.
- Each chapter concludes with questions to test comprehension.
- Exercises for each chapter appear on perforated pages at the end of the book to strengthen understanding of the concepts and principles of hearing.
Section I: Acoustics
1. Basic Acoustics
Section II: Structure and Function
2. Anatomy and Physiology of the Conductive Auditory Mechanism
3. Anatomy and Physiology of the Sensorineural Auditory Mechanism
4. Anatomy and Physiology of the Central Auditory Mechanism
Section III: Psychoacoustics
5. Normal Hearing
7. Loudness and Pitch
8. Differential Sensitivity
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2007
- 23rd February 2007
- Paperback ISBN:
Professor, Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
Professor, Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology, West Virginia University. Morgantown, WV, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.