Today’s nursing students are busier and more pressed for time than ever. The good news is that Health Assessment for Nursing Practice, 6th Edition caters to your needs by focusing only on the information you need to master the core assessment skills and thrive in clinical practice. In addition to its focused content, you can look forward to straightforward and easy-to-understand language; vivid photos; clean page layouts; and of course the latest information on topical things like electronic documentation, QSEN competencies, and cultural considerations. Plus, with its abundance of engaging learning tools — like case studies, procedure videos, animations, and insightful call-outs — you’ll be able to maximize your learning AND study time!
- Straightforward, easy-to-understand coverage gives readers the knowledge and confidence to perform a complete physical examination.
- Clear differentiation between basic skills and advanced procedures or special-circumstance procedures helps readers pinpoint essential assessments.
- Two-column format creates a visual distinction between normal and abnormal findings and techniques.
- Vivid full-color photos walk readers step-by-step through key assessment techniques to better understand key abnormalities.
- UNIQUE! Concept Overview boxes present core concepts in the context of health assessment, with discussions of pain, oxygenation, perfusion, tissue integrity, motion, sensory perception, metabolism, and intracranial regulation.
- UNIQUE! Clinical Reasoning boxes explain the thought process of an experienced nurse making a clinical decision to help readers gain expert perspective on clinical judgment and the decision-making process in nursing practice.
- UNIQUE! Patients with Situational Variations sections address special circumstances or needs for patients in wheelchairs or other limitations and exam variations.
- Documenting Expected Findings sections demonstrate how to chart normal findings -- a perpetual area of struggle among nursing students.
- Review questions in the book help assess reader’s understanding of need-to-know content.
- UNIQUE! Case studies at the end of each chapter give readers practice in developing clinical reasoning skills in the context of health assessment and physical examination.
- UNIQUE! Adapting Health Assessment to the Hospitalized Patient chapter explains special techniques for performing a head-to-toe assessment of a patient in a hospital setting.
- Health Promotion for Evidence-Based Practice boxes apply the
Unit I. Foundations for Health Assessment
1. Introduction to Health Assessment
2. Interviewing Patients to Obtain a Health History
3. Techniques and Equipment for Physical Assessment
4. General Inspection and Measurement of Vital Signs
5. Ethnic, Cultural, and Spiritual Considerations
6. Pain Assessment
7. Mental Health and Abusive Behavior Assessment
8. Nutritional Assessment
Unit II. Health Assessment of the Adult
9. Skin, Hair, and Nails
10. Head, Eyes, Ears, Nose, and Throat
11. Lungs and Respiratory System
12. Heart and Peripheral Vascular System
13. Abdomen and Gastrointestinal System
14. Musculoskeletal System
15. Neurologic System
16. Breasts and Axillae
17. Reproductive System and the Perineum
Unit III. Health Assessment Across the Life Span
18. Developmental Assessment Throughout the Life Span
19. Assessment of the Infant, Child, and Adolescent
20. Assessment of the Pregnant Patient
21. Assessment of the Older Adult
Unit IV. Synthesis and Application of Health Assessment
22. Conducting a Head-to-Toe Examination
23. Documenting the Head-to-Toe Health Assessment
24. Adapting Health Assessment to an Ill Patient
B. Answer Key
IBC: Special Features
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2017
- 30th September 2016
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Emeritus Associate Professor, Harris College of Nursing and Health Sciences, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Executive Nurse Fellow, Dean and Professor, School of Nursing, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia