Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Handbook on Biological Warfare Preparedness provides detailed information on biological warfare agents and their mode of transmission and spread. In addition, it explains methods of detection and medical countermeasures, including vaccine and post-exposure therapeutics, with specific sections detailing diseases, their transmission, clinical signs and symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, vaccines, prevention and management. This book is useful reading for researchers and advanced students in toxicology, but it will also prove helpful for medical students, civil administration, medical doctors, first responders and security forces.
As the highly unpredictable nature of any event involving biological warfare agents has given rise to the need for the rapid development of accurate detection systems, this book is a timely resource on the topic.
- Introduces different bacterial and viral agents, including Ebola and other emerging threats and toxins
- Discusses medical countermeasures, including vaccines and post-exposure therapeutics
- Includes a comprehensive review of current methods of detection
Researchers and advanced students in toxicology and aspects of biological warfare agents. It will also prove helpful for medical students, civil administrators, medical doctors, first responders, and security forces
- Biological warfare agents: History and modern-day relevance
2. Bacterial biological warfare agents
3. Toxins as biological warfare agents
4. Viral agents including threat from emerging viral infections
5. Advance detection technologies for select biothreat agents
6. Microfluidics application for detection of biological warfare agents
7. Collection, storage, and transportation of samples for offsite analysis
8. Medical management of diseases associated with biological warfare
9. Protective equipment for protection against biological warfare agents
10. Environmental sampling and biodecontamination—Recent progress, challenges, and future direction
11. Biological and toxin warfare convention: Current status and future prospects
12. Next generation agents (synthetic agents): Emerging threats and challenges in detection, protection, and decontamination
13. Genome information of BW agents and their application in biodefence
14. Planning for protection of civilians against bioterrorism
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 5th October 2019
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. S. J. S. Flora, Director, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Raebareli (NIPER-R) UP since 2016. Dr. Flora was scientist ‘G’ (Associate Director) Head, Division of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Regulatory Toxicology at Defense Research and Development Establishment, Gwalior. He got his Ph.D. in 1985 and was a post doctoral research associate at Utah State University, USA. His most highlighted contribution has been the development of a new drug for therapy of chronic arsenic poisoning which was approved by Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) and has finished Phase I human clinical. He has published more than 275 research papers, 75 Review article/chapters in international books, 3 patents and more than 10,000 citations in international literature. He has published three books including the prestigious "Handbook of Arsenic Toxicology" published by ELSEVIER/ Academic Press (USA).
Director, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, NIPER Paebareli, Uttar Pradesh, India
Dr Vidhu is senior research fellow at Defence Research Development Establishment, Gwalior, India, and lecturer at Dr. D. Y. Patil Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences & Research, India.
Guest Faculty at NIPER-Raebareli, Lucknow campus and worked as Assistant Professor, Amity Institute of Pharmacy, Amity University, India.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.