Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Handbook of UV Degradation and Stabilization, Third Edition, discusses different aspects of UV-related phenomena that occur when polymeric materials are exposed to UV radiation. It reviews existing literature, looking at how plants, animals and humans protect themselves against UV radiation. This review permits evaluation of mechanisms of protection against UV used by living things and potential application of these mechanisms in the protection of natural and synthetic polymeric materials. Other chapters look at more specific aspects of UV degradation and stabilization, such as specific polymers and rubbers, analytical methods used in UV stabilization, health and safety, and more. This book is an excellent companion to the Databook of UV stabilizers which has also been published recently. Both books supplement each other without repeating the same information – one contains data another theory, mechanisms of action, practical effects and implications of application.
- Provides a practical reference guide for engineers and scientists who design with plastics and formulate plastic materials
- Explains the effect of UV light on plastics and how to mitigate its effects through the use of UV stabilizers
- Surveys the range of UV stabilizers on the market and provides advice on their selection and use
Researchers in engineering (chemical; mechanical); professional engineers. Grad students and professors
2. Photophysics and photochemistry
3. Mechanisms of UV stabilization
4. UV stabilizers (chemical composition, physical-chemical properties, UV absorption, forms, applications – polymers and final products, concentrations used)
5. Stability of UV stabilizers
6. Principles of stabilizer selection
7. UV degradation and stabilization of polymers and rubbers (description according to the following outline: mechanisms and results of degradation, mechanisms and results of stabilization, and data on activation wavelength (spectral sensitivity), products of degradation, typical results of photodegradation, most important stabilizers, concentration of stabilizers in formulation, and examples of lifetime of typical polymeric materials)
8. UV degradation and stabilization of industrial products (description according to the following outline: requirements, lifetime expectations, important changes and mechanisms, stabilization methods)
9 Focus on technology - Sunscreen
10 UV stabilizers and other components of formulation
11 Analytical methods in UV degradation and stabilization studies
12 UV stabilizers – health, safety, and environment
- No. of pages:
- © ChemTec Publishing 2020
- 13th March 2020
- ChemTec Publishing
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
George Wypych has a Ph.D. in chemical engineering. His professional expertise includes both university teaching (full professor) and research and development. He has published 18 books, 47 scientific papers, and he has obtained 16 patents. He specializes in polymer additives, polymer processing and formulation, material durability and the development of sealants and coatings.
ChemTec Publishing, Ontario, Canada
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.