The highly industrialized world we live in depends for its survival and further growth on advanced electronic technologies which place a premium on rapidly improved performance versus size, weight, and cost. Small computers, high-definition TV, digital camcorders, flat-panel displays, and robotic systems are but a few examples of miniatured device technologies which are of critical importance to emerging societal, industrial, defense, and space needs. All of these technologies depend sensitively on the availability of miniature thin film components in array and/or integrated formats. This book provides that first multi-topical coverage of the semiconductor, optical, superconductor, magnetic, and ferroelectric devices and technologies responding to these needs. This book comprises five topical volumes edited by world authorities in their fields, i.e. semiconductor junction devices, semiconductor optics, superconducting film devices, magnetic film devices, and ferroelectric film devices. Well-known experts were invited to cover recent progress in aspects ranging from deposition and fabrication to device modeling, measurements, and new cutting-edge design approached for improved performance. This multitopic approach effectively demonstrates the broad-based and pervasive character of thin film techniques that impact and control a vast array of device functions that are critical to developments in computer technology, communications, television, defense and space systems, and industrial and consumer products. Readers are provided with both broad critical overviews and research level analysis and technical details.
@introbul:Key Features @bul:* A comprehensive discussion of the most promising and completely developed of thin film devices which impact the entire field of high-tech components and systems for commercial, defense and space applications
- Edited and written by internationally known, authoritative experts and innovators, familiar with all aspects of research and development in their fields and with current and potential applications
- Presents the reader with informed assessments of all candidate solid state film devices now being optimized for advanced application, e.g., in flat panel displays, solar energy conversion, high-speed and power components, radar technology, infrared imaging , advanced computers, laser sources, and numerous other arenas
- Provides a well-balanced coverage of materials growth and optimization, thin-film device modelling , device fabrication and characterization, and future development directions;These inputs are critically important to both educators, designers, device technologists and manufacturers, and to system engineers
- Furnishes useful insights on processing compatibility, materials and film device stability, interface engineering, cryogenic requirements and operation, lithography and micro-machining, and integrability for sub-systems
- Provides a broad-based view of alternative and/or complimentary film device technologies in a single, well-referenced source
- Ensures complete and detailed overview of solid-state device topics, comprehensive bibliographical information, and expert guidance in advanced and sophisticated areas of device technology and potental applications
- Furnishes invaluable insights on competitive state-of-the-art thin film semiconductor, photonics, superconductor, magnetic and ferroelectric technologies, processing and compatibility,device options, performance potential and prospects for essentially all
Senior engineering and research personnel working on integrated ciruit, optical, memory, and military imaging and electronic systems, as well as university, industrial, and government libraries, i.e.
CONTENTS (Volume Headings) Volume 1: Hetero-Structures for High-Performance Devices Colin E.C. Wood Volume 2: Semiconductor Optical and Electro-Optical Devices A.G.U. Perera and H.C. Liu Volume 3: Superconducting Film Devices Phillip Broussard Volume 4: Magnetic Thin Film Devices J. Douglas Adam Volume 5: Ferroelectric Film Devices Deborah J. Taylor
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2000
- 19th October 2000
- Academic Press
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Georgia State University, Atlanta, U.S.A.
Georgia State University, Atlanta, U.S.A.
Motorola, Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
NRL, Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
Northrop Grumman STC, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.