Handbook of Materials Failure Analysis: With Case Studies from the Construction Industry provides a thorough understanding of the reasons materials fail in certain situations, covering important scenarios including material defects, mechanical failure due to various causes, and improper material selection and/or corrosive environment. The book begins with a general overview of materials failure analysis and its importance, and then logically proceeds from a discussion of the failure analysis process, types of failure analysis, and specific tools and techniques, to chapters on analysis of materials failure from various causes.
Failure can occur for several reasons, including: materials defects-related failure, materials design-related failure, or corrosion-related failures. The suitability of the materials to work in a definite environment is an important issue. The results of these failures can be catastrophic in the worst case scenarios, causing loss of life. This important reference covers the most common types of materials failure, and provides possible solutions.
- Provides the most up-to-date and balanced coverage of failure analysis, combining foundational knowledge and current research on the latest developments and innovations in the field
- Offers an ideal accompaniment for those interested in materials forensic investigation, failure of materials, static failure analysis, dynamic failure analysis, and fatigue life prediction
- Presents compelling new case studies from key industries to demonstrate concepts and to assist users in avoiding costly errors that could result in catastrophic events
Materials engineers, structural engineers, chemists, and research scientists working in materials engineering and failure analysis
Part I: Basics and Introduction to Failure Analysis
1. Materials Failure Analysis: An overview of relative industry
2. Principles of Failure Analysis (how a failure analysis is performed)
3. Classifications and types of Materials Failure Analysis
4. Tools and Techniques in Failure Analysis
5. Basics of Materials Failure analysis due to mechanical effects
Part II: Failure Due to first reason
6. Case 1
7. Case 2
8. Case 3
9. Case 4
Part III: Failure Due to second reason
10. Case 1
11. Case 2
12. Case 3
13. Case 4
Details of specific case studies will be clarified once the project has been approved and the others can move forward with finalizing commitments from contributors.
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2018
- 1st April 2018
- Hardcover ISBN:
Abdel Salam Hamdy Makhlouf was formerly a Professor: Manufacturing & Industrial Engineering Dept., University of Texas, USA.
Professor, Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering Department, University of Texas, USA
Mahmood Aliofkhazraei is assistant professor in the department of materials science at the Tarbiat Modares University, where he also earned his master's degree and Ph.D. in corrosion and protection of materials. Dr. Aliofkhazraei has authored over 60 scientific publications on nanostructured coatings and thin films and has received numerous scientific awards, such as Khwarizmi award. He was selected among the 10 top best nanotechnologists in his country.
Assistant Professor, Department of Materials Science, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran