Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
The Handbook of Chitin and Chitosan: Composites and Nanocomposites from Chitin and Chitosan, Manufacturing and Characterisations, Volume Two, is a must-read for polymer chemists, physicists and engineers interested in the development of ecofriendly micro and nanostructured functional materials based on chitin and their various applications. The book addresses their isolation, preparation and properties, through composites, nanomaterials, manufacturing and characterizations. This is the second of three volumes in a series that contains the latest on the major applications of chitin and chitosan based IPN’s, blends, gels, composites and nanocomposites, including environmental remediation, biomedical applications and smart material applications.
- Provides a comprehensive overview of Chitin and Chitosan materials, from their synthesis and nanomaterials, to their manufacture and applications
- Volume Two focuses on Chitin and Chitosan composites
- Includes contributions from leading researchers across the globe and from industry, academia, government and private research institutions
- Highlights current status and future opportunities
Polymer chemists, engineers and technologists. Researchers, graduates and postgraduates in the fields of materials science, biomaterials and medicines. Biomedical scientists, bioengineers and chemical engineers with an interest in polysaccharides
1. Polymer blends, composites and nanocomposite from chitin and chitosan: Manufacturing, characterisations and applications
2. Processing techniques of chitin based gels, blends, and composites using ionic liquids
3. Processing techniques of chitosan based IPN’s, gels, blends, composites and nanocomposites
4. Microscopic studies on chitin and chitosan based IPN’s, gels, blends, composites and nanocomposites
5. Thermal degradation characteristics of chitin, chitosan, chitosan/Al2O3 and chitosan/Benonite nanocomposites
6. Barrier properties, antimicrobial and antifungal activities of chitin and chitosan based IPN’s, gels, blends, composites and nanocomposites
7. Chitin and chitosan based polyurethanes
8. Functional properties of chitin and chitosan-based polymer materials
9. Biocomposites of chitosan reinforced with natural fibers
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2020
- 19th June 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. Sabu Thomas is a Professor of Polymer Science and Engineering at the School of Chemical Sciences, as well as the Director of Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Mahatma Gandhi University, India. He received his Ph.D. in 1987 in Polymer Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur, India. He is a fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, London, and a member of the American Chemical Society. He has been ranked no.5 in India with regard to the number of publications (most productive scientists). Prof. Thomas’s research group is specialized various areas of polymer research, including polymer blends, fibre filled polymer composites, particulate-filled polymer composites and their morphological characterization, ageing and degradation, pervaporation phenomena, sorption and diffusion, interpenetrating polymer systems, recyclability and reuse of waste plastics and rubbers, elastomer crosslinking, and dual porous nanocomposite scaffolds for tissue engineering. His research group has extensive exchange programs with different industries, research and academic institutions all over the world and is performing collaborative research in various fields. Prof. Thomas has over 1,000 publications and 130 books to his name.
Professor, Polymer Science and Engineering, School of Chemical Sciences and Director, Centre for Neuroscience and Nanotechnology, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India
Professor Pius achieved her BSc. in Chemistry in 1985 from Holy Cross College, Nagercoil, Madurai Kamaraj University, India following this with and MSc and PhD in Chemistry. Her research interests are environmental chemistry and pollution control, polymer composites, nanocomposites, food chemistry, bioavailability – in vitro studies, photodegradation of pollutants, waste water treatments and anion sensors. Professor Pius is a reviewer for a number of well-known journals including Ecological Engineering, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Journal of Chemistry & Applied Biochemistry, Journal of Water Process Engineering, National Academy Science Letters and Separation Science and Technology.
The Gandhigram Rural Institute (Deemed University), Dindigul
Dr. Sreerag Gopi is the Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) of ADSO Naturals Pvt., Ltd., Bangalore, Karnataka, India. He works in the area of natural products, nano materials, nutraceuticals and polymer nano composites. Dr. Sreerag has been published many peer reviewed articles in International journals and written number of book chapters.
Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) of ADSO Naturals Pvt., Ltd., Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.