Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
The Handbook of Chitin and Chitosan: Chitin and Chitosan Based Polymer Materials for Various Applications, Volume Three, is a must-read for polymer chemists, physicists and engineers interested in the development of ecofriendly micro and nanostructured functional materials based on chitin and their various applications. The book addresses their isolation, preparation and properties and their composites, nanomaterials, manufacturing and characterizations. This is the third of three volumes in a series that contains the latest on the major applications of chitin and chitosan based IPN’s, blends, gels, composites and nanocomposites, including environmental remediation, biomedical applications and smart material applications.
- Provides a comprehensive overview of Chitin and Chitosan materials, from their synthesis and nanomaterials, to their manufacture and applications
- Volume Three focuses on the applications of Chitin and Chitosan
- Includes contributions from leading researchers across the globe and from industry, academia, government and private research institutions
- Highlights current status and future opportunities
Polymer chemists, engineers and technologists. Researchers, graduates and postgraduates in the fields of materials science, biomaterials and medicines. Biomedical scientists, bioengineers and chemical engineers with an interest in polysaccharides
1. Polymer blends, IPN’s, gels, composites and nanocomposite from chitin and chitosan; manufacturing, and applications
2. Chemically modified chitin and chitosan as biomaterials
3. Chitin and chitosan-based hybrid nanocomposites for supercapacitors
4. Investigation into the functional properties of cotton, wool and denim textile materials finished with chitosan and the use of chitosan in textile-reinforced composites and medical textiles
5. Chitin blends, IPN’s, gels, composites and nanocomposites for adsorption systems: environmental remediation and protein purification
6. Chitin and chitosan based blends, composites and nanocomposite for packaging applications
7. Fundamentals of chitosan for biomedical applications
8. Electrospun chitosan materials and their potential use as scaffolds for bone and cartilage tissue engineering
9. Injectable polymeric gels based on chitosan and chitin for biomedical applications
10. Preparation and application of Biomimetic and bioinspired membranes based on chitosan
11. Chitin, chitosan microgels and nanogels for drug delivery applications
12. Chitin- and chitosan-based Oleogels: Rheological and thermal behavior modifications.
13. Chitosan as biomaterial in drug delivery and tissue engineering
14. Biomedical applications of carboxymethyl chitosan
15. Biomedical exploitation of chitin and chitosan-based matrices via ionic liquid processing
16. Chitin and Chitosan Composites for Bone Tissue Regeneration
17. Drug delivery and tissue engineering applications of chitosan based biomaterial systems
18. Future aspects of biomedical applications of chitin and chitosan in diseases associated with oxidative stress
19. Immunomodulatory activities of chitin and chitosan microparticles
20. Chitosan and chitin-based composites for food packaging applications
21. Modified release properties of gluthathione-based chitosan films: physical and functional characterization
22. Chitosan materials as templates for essential oils
23. Chitosan: A potential biopolymer for wound management
24. Chitin and Chitosan as Promising Immunostimulant for Aquaculture
25. Chitosan based materials for wastewater treatment
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2020
- 1st July 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
Prof. Sabu Thomas is the Vice Chancellor, senior most professor and outstanding scientist and leading academic of Mahatma Gandhi University. Prof. Thomas is an outstanding leader with sustained international acclaims for his work in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Dr. Thomas’s ground breaking inventions in polymer nanocomposites, polymer blends, green bionanotechnological and nano-biomedical sciences, have made t ransformative differences in the development of new materials for automotive, space, housing and biomedical fields. Prof. Thomas has been conferred Honoris Causa (D.Sc) by the University of South Brittany, Lorient, France and University of Lorraine, Nancy, France. Prof. Thomas has been awarded Senior Fulbright Fellowship to visit 20 Universities in the US. He has been successful in getting more than 15 international projects and 35 national projects to Mahatma Gandhi University. Professor Thomas has published over 1000 peer reviewed research papers, reviews and book chapters. He has co-edited 132 books published by Royal Society of Chemistry, Wiley, Wood head, Elsevier, CRC Press, Springer, and Nova etc. He is the inventor of 15 patents. The h index of Prof. Thomas is 100 and has more than 47,500 citations. Prof. Thomas has delivered over 300 Plenary/Inaugural and Invited lectures in national/international meetings over 30 countries. Prof. Thomas has supervised 107 PhD theses and his students occupy leading positions in India and abroad in academy and industry.
Vice Chancellor of Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India
Professor Pius achieved her BSc. in Chemistry in 1985 from Holy Cross College, Nagercoil, Madurai Kamaraj University, India following this with and MSc and PhD in Chemistry. Her research interests are environmental chemistry and pollution control, polymer composites, nanocomposites, food chemistry, bioavailability – in vitro studies, photodegradation of pollutants, waste water treatments and anion sensors. Professor Pius is a reviewer for a number of well-known journals including Ecological Engineering, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Journal of Chemistry & Applied Biochemistry, Journal of Water Process Engineering, National Academy Science Letters and Separation Science and Technology.
The Gandhigram Rural Institute (Deemed University), Dindigul
Dr. Sreerag Gopi is the Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) of ADSO Naturals Pvt., Ltd., Bangalore, Karnataka, India. He works in the area of natural products, nano materials, nutraceuticals and polymer nano composites. Dr. Sreerag has been published many peer reviewed articles in International journals and written number of book chapters.
Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) of ADSO Naturals Pvt., Ltd., Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.