This volume has been organized for practicing engineers who deal with the problems of groundwater and leachate remediation. It is intended to provide a practical overview of both techniques for evaluating groundwater quality and in selecting remediation technologies that are cost effective. Emphasis is given to advanced remediation methods.
Practicing engineers who deal with the problems of groundwater and leachate remediation.
- Principles of Geology Introduction Minerals Carbonates, Sulfates, and Oxides Rock-Forming Silicates Ores Rocks, Their Origin and Properties Igneous Rocks Metamorphic Rocks Sedimentary Rocks Weathering Mechanical Weathering Chemical Weathering Basic Soil Concepts Erosion and Deposition Waterborne Deposition Windborne Deposition Glacial Deposits Geological Structure Folding Unconformities Fractures Geologic Time Rock Units Time and Time-Rock Units Geological Maps and Cross Sections Groundwater in Igneous and Metamorphic Rocks Groundwater in Sedimentary Rocks Groundwater in Unconsolidated Sediments Relation Between Geology, Climate, and Groundwater Quality Conclusions
- Relationship Between Groundwater and Surface Water Introduction Gaining and Losing Streams Bank Storage Effect of the Geologic Framework on Stream Hydrographs Single-Event Hydrograph Separation Techniques Depletion Curves Hydrograph Separation Separation of Complex Hydrographs Hydrograph Separation by Chemical Techniques Computer Separation Programs Groundwater Rating Curve Seepage or Dry Weather Measurements Temperature Surveys Flow-Duration Curves Flow Ratios
- Principles of Hydrogeology Introduction Precipitation Seasonal Variations in Precipitation Types of Precipitation Recording Precipitation Infiltration Surface Water Rates of Flow Stream Discharge Measurements and Records Relation Between Groundwater and Surface Water Groundwater The Water Table Aquifers and Confining Units Porosity and Hydraulic Conductivity Hydraulic Gradient Potentiometric Surface Maps and Flow Nets Calculating Groundwater Flow Interstitial Velocity Transmissivity and Storativity Water-Level Fluctuations Cone of Depression Specific Capacity
- Groundwater Contamination Introduction Sources of Groundwater Contamination Groundwater Quality Problems that Originate on the Land Surface Groundwater Quality Problems that Originate Above the Water Table Groundwater Quality Problems that Originate Below the Water Table Natural Controls on Groundwater Contamination Leachate Changes in Groundwater Quality Prediction of Contaminant Migration
- Groundwater Restoration Introduction Contaminant Mobility Site Characterization Source Control Source Removal Surface Runoff Controls Groundwater Barriers Hydrodynamic Controls Groundwater Collection and Treatment Pumping Systems Interceptor Systems Groundwater Treatment After Removal In Situ Treatment In Situ Physical/Chemical Treatment Mobilization for Extraction Detoxification Biodegradation Natural Subsurface Biological Activity Enhanced Biorestoration Treatment Trains Institutional Limitations on Controlling Groundwater Contamination
- Pump-and-Treat Remediation Technology Introduction Data Requirements Conceptual Design Operation and Monitoring
- Treating Contaminated Groundwater and Leachate Introduction variable Flows and Variable Concentrations Unit Process Design Approach Mass Balances Unit Process Treatment Interferences Life Cycle Design Staging/Phased Treatment Residuals Management Availability of Package Plants Materials of Construction and Materials Compatibility Appendices Glossary Abbreviations Index
- No. of pages:
- © William Andrew 1998
- 31st December 1998
- William Andrew
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
United States Agency for International Development