This groundbreaking reference is the first and only comprehensive book to address the needs of older dogs and cats, providing the veterinary clinician, veterinary student, and animal health technician with health-related information that is clinically relevant and quickly retrievable in a simple format. It offers a complete and practical review of the causes, incidence, clinical features, diagnosis, and management of both common and uncommon problems associated with the aging process and acquired illness. Each chapter offers tips on the physical examination of that body system and provides quick-reference tables for guidance on diagnosis and treatment. Because of the increased health problems in aging dogs and cats and the ardent attachment of the pet owner, veterinarians need to know more about aging so they may delay or minimize the progressive deterioration of aging and improve the quality of life for geriatric dogs and cats.
- Discusses state-of-the-art medical and surgical therapy.
- Covers nutritional management that is crucial to aging dogs and cats.
- Reviews the most cost-effective techniques in treating aging pets.
- Reviews common disorders, including the cause, incidence, clinical features, diagnosis, and management of each illness.
- A chapter on client services includes a discussion of pet death and grief reaction.
- Explores the special human-animal bond that develops as the dog and cat population ages.
- Geriatrics and Aging
2. Owner Services and Hospice Care
3. Nutritional Requirements and Dietary Management
4. Aging and Effects on Behavior
5. Pharmacologic Principles
6. Cancer and Therapeutics
8. Surgery and Its Application
9. The Respiratory System
10. Cardiac Disease in Geriatric Dogs and Cats
11. The Oral Cavity and Dental Disease
12. The Gastrointestinal System
13. The Liver and Exocrine Pancreas
14. The Skin
15. Ear Diseases and Altered Hearing
16. Ophthalmic Diseases and Their Management
17. The Endocrine and Metabolic Systems
18. Spleen and Lymph Nodes
19. The Urinary System
20. The Prostate Gland
21. Neuromuscular Disorders
22. The Nervous System
23. Health Care Programs
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2004
- 24th November 2003
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN: