Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
General, Comparative and Clinical Endocrinology of the Adrenal Cortex, Volume 2 focuses on the many facets of adrenocortical form and function. This book discusses the mammalian adrenal cortex in structural, pathological, clinical, biochemical and histophysiological standpoints, including the functional and structural characteristics of the adrenocortical homologue of two poikilothermic groups- Reptilia and Amphibia. The general perspective that the adrenocortical homologue secretes materials that have an ubiquity of metabolism and mode of action in the Vertebrata is also elaborated.
General, Comparative and Clinical Endocrinology of the Adrenal Cortex, Volume 2 covers the steroidogenesis in the zones of the mammalian adrenal cortex; adrenal gland in Reptilia; adrenal cortex of Amphibia; and aldosterone secretion and its clinical disorders. This volume is a good source for zoologists, biologists, and specialists interested in the endocrinology of the adrenal cortex.
Chapter 1. The Structure of the Mammalian Adrenal Cortex
3. General Structure of the Normal Adult, Eutheria
5. General Features of Cell Organelles
6. Cytochemistry and Autoradiography at the Ultrastructural Level
7. The Embryonic Mammalian Adrenal Cortex: Morphology and Cytochemistry
8. The Fetal or Transient Cortex and the X Zone
9. Cytophysiology of the Mammalian Adrenal Cortex
10. Stimulation in Experimental Hypoadrenocorticism
11. Problems Associated with the Structure of the Mammalian Adrenal Cortex
Chapter 2. Steroidogenesis in the Zones of the Mammalian Adrenal Cortex
3. Mineralocorticoids: Acute Factors Affecting Secretion
4. Mineralocorticoids: Chronic Factors Affecting Secretion
5. The Renin-Angiotensin System
6. Functional Aspects of Adrenocortical Zonation
7. Inner Zone Function
9. Adrenocortical Sex Steroids and Gonadotrophins
Chapter 3. Catabolism of the Adrenocortical Hormones
2. Catabolic Transformations
3. Catabolism of Specific Hormones
Chapter 4. The Adrenal Gland in Reptilia
Part 1. Structure
2. General Morphology
5. Seasonal Changes
6. The Pituitary—Adrenal Axis
7. The Hypothalamo-Hypophysial Axis
Part 2. Physiology
1. Adrenocortical Control Mechanisms
2. Corticomedullary Relationships
3. Water and Electrolyte Balance
4. Protein, Fat and Carbohydrate Metabolism
Chapter 5. The Adrenal Cortex of Amphibia
1. Structure of the Adrenal Islets
2. Functions of Adrenocortical Secretions
Chapter 6. The Actions of Aldosterone
2. Effects and Actions of Aldosterone
3. Mechanism of Action of Aldosterone
Chapter 7. Aldosterone Secretion and its Clinical Disorders
Part 1. Control of Aldosterone Secretion
1. Controlling Factors
2. Physiological Variations in Aldosterone Secretion
Part 2. Disorders of Aldosterone Secretion
1. Primary Aldosteronism
2. Syndromes Resembling Primary Aldosteronism
3. Hypertension and Aldosteronism
4. Secondary Aldosteronism
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 1978
- 28th January 1978
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.