This highly acclaimed textbook is written specifically for students of medicine and related health science subjects. It progresses from a review of general pathology principles and disease mechanisms through detailed discussions of the pathologic entities associated with each organ system. Nearly 700 full-color photographs and pathology slides bring the content to life. The fifth edition features extensive updates throughout to reflect the latest discoveries in cellular and molecular pathology, and offers a web site that presents self-assessment material and illustrated clinical case studies.
- Contents perfectly matches needs on medical students.
- Very clinical approach matches integrated courses.
- Extensive International Advisory Board validates contents.
- Each organ system chapter begins with a brief review of normal structure and function, emphasizing aspects that are important to an understanding of the subsequently discussed disease processes.
- Offers a superb collection of clinical photographs, histopathology images, and graphics, approximately 700 in all, that richly depict the appearance of both healthy and diseased tissues.
Part 1: Basic Pathology:
Introduction to Pathology. Characteristics. Classification and Incidence of Disease. Genetic and Environmental Causes of Disease. Diagnostic Pathology in Clinical Practice.
Part 2: Disease Mechanisms:
Disorders of Growth. Differentiation and Morphogenesis. Response to Cellular Injury. Disorders of Metabolism and Homeostasis. Ischaemia. Infarction and Shock. Immunology and Immunopathology. Inflammation. Carcinogenesis and Neoplasia. Aging and Death.
Part 3: Systematic Pathology:
Cardiovascular System. Respiratory Tract. Alimentary System. Liver. Biliary System and Exocrine Pancreas. Endocrine System. Breast. Female Genital Tract. Male Genital Tract. Kidneys and Urinary Tract. Lymph Nodes. Thymus and Spleen. Blood and Bone Marrow. Skin. Osteoarticular and Connective Tissues. Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems.
- Churchill Livingstone
- eBook ISBN:
Emeritus Professor of Pathology, University of Sheffield
Reader and Honorary Consultant, Academic Unit of Pathology, Department of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK