Fundamentals of Weed Science, 5e continues to provide the latest information on this dynamic and constantly advancing topic in a comprehensive, multidisciplinary volume.
Placing weed management into the largest context of weed research and science, Fundamentals of Weed Science presents the latest advances in understanding the role, control, and potential uses of weed plants. From the emergence and genetic foundation of weeds to the latest means of control and environmental impact, the book uses an ecological framework, to explore the role of responsible and effective weed control in agriculture. Zimdahl includes discussion of related areas where research is needed for additional relevant understanding of the subject.
Including examples the roles of culture, economics, and politics in weed management, enabling scientists and students to understand the larger effects on society.
- Fully revised with 35% new content
- Expanded coverage of Ethnobotany, the specific identity and role of invasive weed species, organic agriculture, and herbicide resistance in GM crops
- Increased emphasis to herbicide resistance and molecular biology, both of which have come to dominate weed science research
- Includes all traditional aspects of weed science as well as current research.
- Provides broad coverage including relevant related subjects including Weed ecology, Weed population genetics that are lacking in other weed science resources
Students of weed science. A weed science class is taught in every land-grant university in the United States. A similar course is taught in many universities in other countries
2. Weeds - The Beginning
3. Weed Classification
4. Ethnobotany Several additions based on current research
5. Weed Reproduction and Dispersal
6. Weed Ecology
7. Population Biology of Weeds
8. Invasive Plants
10. Methods of Weed Management
11. Weed Management in Organic Agricultural Systems
12. Biological Weed Control
13. Introduction to Chemical Weed Control
14. Herbicides and Plants
15. Herbicides and Soil
16. Properties and Uses of Herbicides
17. Herbicide Formulation
18. Herbicide Resistance and GM Crops
19. Herbicides and the Environment
20. Pesticide Legislation and Registration
21. Weed Management Systems
22. Weed Science - The Future
Appendix A: List of Crops by Common Name
Appendix B: List of Weeds by Common Name
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2019
- 1st March 2018
- Academic Press
- Hardcover ISBN:
Robert L. Zimdahl is a Professor of Weed Science at Colorado State University. He received his Ph.D. in Agronomy from Oregon State University. Among his many honors and awards, Dr. Zimdahl was elected a Fellow of the Weed Science Society of America in 1986 and currently serves as editor of that society’s journal, Weed Science. He has been a member of several international task forces and has authored a number of books and articles on the subject of weed science.
Professor Emeritus, Dept of Bioagricultural Sciences and Pest Management, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA