Focusing on emerging therapies and those best supported by clinical trials and scientific evidence, Fundamentals of Complementary and Alternative Medicine describes some of the most prevalent and the fastest-growing CAM therapies in use today. Prominent author Dr. Marc Micozzi provides a complete overview of CAM, creating a solid foundation and context for therapies in current practice. Coverage of systems and therapies includes mind, body, and spirit; traditional Western healing; and traditional ethnomedical systems from around the world. Discussions include homeopathy, massage and manual therapies, chiropractic, a revised chapter on osteopathy, herbal medicine, aromatherapy, naturopathic medicine, and nutrition and hydration. With its wide range of topics, this is the ideal CAM reference for both students and practitioners!
- An evidence-based approach focuses on treatments best supported by clinical trials and scientific evidence.
- Coverage of CAM therapies and systems includes those most commonly encountered or growing in popularity, so you carefully evaluate each treatment.
- Global coverage includes discussions of traditional healing arts from Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas.
- Longevity in the market makes this a classic, trusted text.
- Expert contributors include well-known writers such as Kevin Ergil, Patch Adams, Joseph Pizzorno, Victor Sierpina, and Marc Micozzi himself.
- Suggested readings and references in each chapter list the best resources for further research and study.
Section One: Foundations
- Characteristics of Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Translation from Conventional Medicine
- Issues in Integrative Medicine
- Ecological Pharmacology NEW!
- Social and Cultural Factors in Medicine
- Mind-Body Thought and Practice in Early and Late America NEW!
- Neurohumoral Physiology and PNI
- Mind-Body Modalities
- Energy Medicine NEW!
- Biophysical Devices: Electricity, Light and Magnetism
- The Arts in Medicine
- Creative and Expressive Therapies NEW!
- Principles of Bodywork: Manual and Manipulative Therapies NEW!
- Massage and Touch Therapies NEW!
- Reflexology NEW!
- Naturopathic Medicine
- Western Herbalism, with Appendix: Common Herbs in Clinical Practice
- Nutrition & Hydration NEW!
- Traditional Medicine of China, with Appendix: Chinese Herbs <
Section Two: Mind, Body and Spirit
Section Three: Manual Therapies
Section Four: Alternative Western Therapies
Section Five: Traditional Ethnomedical Systems: Asia
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2011
- 1st April 2010
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Adjunct Professor, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC; Former Director, Center for Integrative Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA; former Executive Director of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia